Disobedient JNCOs

So what would you do if they refused to quit and refused to up their game? You can’t kick them out without going through the formal channels.

Normally when you start following the current process with the Code of conduct the cadet either sorts themselves out or leaves

That is what generally happens. You need to be steadfast and treat any who behave like this the same way.
In my 25 years running units, I’ve only had a handful who have had to get as far as a proper sit down with me, mostly the adult SNCOs have dealt with things.
I don’t ever feel they’ve been missed when they’ve gone. The only thing you can’t do anything about is mates who aren’t problematic leaving as well.

I’ve got this impression you run your Sqn like an episode of bad lads army…or atleast you like to think you do

I bet those cadets get the best experience

Thank you for all of your replies. This has given me a few ideas for how to deal with them.

Some further detail:
One of the cpls (cpl1) has been in a year longer than me. We both aplied for cpl at the same time and i was the only one promoted. About 2 months later he got his promotion.
About a year later there was an opening for 2 sgt places and 4 cpl places.
Cpl1, a different cpl and myself applied for sgt where the other cpl and I got the promotion. On the same day Cpl2 got his promotion to cpl.

I have brought this matter to the squadron adult Sgt (we dont have a FS or WO and our OC is completely useless).

In total there are 8 cdt NCOs
1 cwo
3 sgts
4 cpls

The 2 problematic cpls have both been given verbal warnings however continue to misbehave.

They do misbehave for the other sgts.

Just let the staff follow the process

It may take a while but they’ll get dealt with or be removed

No Idea what you are on about ref the TV programme as I never watched it.

When this sort of thing happens and it’s rarer than hen’s teeth, you have to be consistent. Imagine if you had two like in this example and one you treated really hard and the other you went easier on, if this didn’t get a moan from a parent, I’d be surprised… How can you justify treating them differently? Especially if they are doing the same sort of thing and neither responding to disciplinary measures as much as cadet NCOs can do, in the modern era.

I can think back to our kids at school and the school went hard on some and soft on others. Which all the kids saw through and would moan about. They said they went easy on the sporty kids, as they could make the school look good and the general brown nosers, as they described them It didn’t help that 6 or 7 of the school leadership were or had been PE teachers.

Few points…

The Cpl1 that was promoted before you… based on what you say it’s no surprise he is still a Cpl. You were promoted on merit so his previous service counts for jot. In short he wasn’t up to whatever standard was set and you were, he needs to get over that.

Cpl2 has come in and probably been “infected” with Cpl1’s attitude, it’s possible if you sort Cpl1 then number 2 will fall in line.

“OC is completely useless”… ummm you are doing what Cpl1 and 2 are doing without realising it. Don’t diss your CO in public, it’s bad form and without the CO in place you would struggle to have any Squadron to go to. Consider this a slap and remember respect is earned and not a right of passage. As an SNCO you should be looking at how you can make the Sqn better, by adding to the disrespect you can’t expect Cpl1 & 2 to come into line. Golden rule…lead by example.

Is the adult Sgt struggling to know what to do? Maybe he could talk to another Squadron and get a steer on what to do. I’m not sure how “ATC legal” this is but I would be looking to demote Cpl1 and 2 on a temporary basis. They will either leave or work hard to earn back the stripes.

Where does the CWO sit in all of this?

Just wondering, did you have to apply to be cpl with a interview with the boss man or was it time to promote cadets and the disobedient cadets were picked? Where they PITA’s before they were promoted or is this a new trait they are showing?

Myself and cpl1 both applied for a cdt->cpl board (interview, drill assessment, written exam) where I was promoted and he was not.
A few months later he was promoted to cpl
A year later another board was arranged, this time for cdt->cpl and cpl -> sgt.
Myself, cpl1 and another cpl(non problematic cpl) applied for sgt. Myself and non prob cpl got the position
On the same day cpl2 went from cdt to cpl.

In regards to behaviour cpl1 had been a bit annoying since the start however after each promotion board he got worse.
Cpl2 was originally okay but is quite good friends with cpl1.

What I’m not getting is why staff aren’t noticing this? With regards to our nco’s they are promoted due to positive attitude, not seen them being silly and acting up In front of other cadets.

We are quite busy on the staff side with organising cadet activities and what not, we do not turn up to sit in the office and talk.

When the staff talk about promotions, we chose cadets that we think will be able to cope with the extra work load and help staff when we are busy. Trouble causers and dummy spitting cadets are not even considered. Choose the best nco’s and the squadron will work, they will also inspire cadets to look towards promotions.

1 Like

Preparing for nay sayers, but this sort of thing smacks of lack of exposure to mixed groups of cadets on annual camps.
There seemed to be process with annual camp with Duty SNCO, JNCO and cadet and then I/C Flight, I/C room/tent… In each of these you would have things to do and each role a progressive learning. Camp one new cadet taking it all in and maybe do Duty Cdt, camp two JNCO additional responsibilities, camp 3 JNCO or SNCO etc etc etc. This was on top of what you learned at the squadron.
Also annual camp would be the place staff could observe and or comment on cadets who showed promise.
At annual blue camp you were expected to keep uniform up to scratch and as you progressed would help others as coming away with a Best, Room, Flight and or Squadron was a matter of great pride. Also being appointed in an I/C role was a positive.

1 Like