Discussion: Should trains have seatbelts?

I recently read about a train derailment in Germany that injured 30 people and unfortunately killed 4 people.

It’s also not too long after a separate derailment in Italy, albeit nobody was injured there.

I know it’s easy to say that trains are usually very safe, probably safer than cars, but all you need to do is look at instances of derailments to see that when a train derails, there’s a good chance of someone being seriously injured if not killed.

With that in mind, wouldn’t it be a good idea to have seatbelts in trains? Could they save lives just like they do with road traffic collisions?

1 Like

And have passengers travel with their backs to the direction of travel.

3 Likes

Interesting. Would you mind elaborating on how that’d be beneficial?

Same as the RAF did for years, travelling backwards stops people from leaving the seat on impact as you are thrown against the seat back and it also to an extent protects the head. Many derailments don’t involve major rollovers unless you are on an embankment.

1 Like

You get thrown into the chair on impact, not out.

It’s why military aircraft passengers face backwards, because it’s safer, and military passengers don’t have the luxury of complaining that civvies do.

2 Likes

Cause me to chunder when i got a vc10 flight that

Ah OK. The derailment in Germany had an embankment involved, so having passengers sit facing the opposite direction might’ve helped

Out of curiosity, what aircraft have passengers facing backwards? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those sorts of aircraft

Voyagers, VC10s used to, Tristars, the more passenger based aircraft.

2 Likes

When trains crash they tend to crash big & roll overs along with jack knife cartridges tend to be common.

I would say seat belts in such circumstances would not be helpful as it is something more likely to fail & trap you than saving your life.

Having a quick google on the question and it appears the reason why not is that seat belts are designed for a rapid deceleration of momentum and not what happens with train.

You also have the fact that things that fly about the carriage (bags, trees, passengers) would more likly to kill someone as when hit they don’t move out of the way as they are pinned to their seat.

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-trains-have-seatbelts-apparently-including-high-speed-trains?top_ans=116657617

1 Like

Passengers seated and belted up would at least stop them travelling around the carriage crashing into the poor unfortunate souls who were standing.

With the decreasing frequency of services (certainly in our area), there is an ever increasing pressure of seats - or, more specifically, an ever increasing number of standing passengers. We’re also seeing more “standing areas” and fewer seats.

If I remember (and I’m working from my undergrad course here… a long time ago), TFL actually published a report on passenger safety - which basically said “cram them in - it’s safer”!!! Paraphrasing here - but the basic principle was that “smarties rattle less when there’s more smarties in the tube”.

However, anything less than this optimum number, does see more people rattling around and damaging themselves and each other.

1 Like

I just realised that is quite true, especially with the smarties - interesting to hear of what’s happening near you.

I dunno what trains in my area are like, because I’ve only used them once and that was three years ago

Considering how many people must stand to make commuter services work they just wouldn’t be practical.

If you eliminated standing on my train to work you would need to run at least 3 times as many trains.

2 Likes

Indeed. And said mentality is leaching into cross country services. It will be interesting to see the risk matrix for this and the cost/benefit analysis!

1 Like

I see. I reckon the majority of TFW services (where I am) aren’t exactly geared towards standing but hey, new rolling stock should sort that one out

I’m 99% certain that no Voyager has rear-facing seats. They wouldn’t be able to be used by airlines when not in RAF service if that was the case, and retro fitting the seats would cost far too much.

Just like an SPV in Captain Scarlett.

3 Likes

The Voyagers have normal facing seats, some are easily removable for the Aeromed ‘christmas trees’.

1 Like

Wasn’t unusual to not have a seat to and from JL - I napped on many baggage shelves.

1 Like

To be fair… i find this more comfortable than the seats in most cases and it’s where you’ll find me