DisAstra Post

No1’s and No5’s shrink in the wardrobe over a period of years. Fact!

7 Likes

In my time with the Corps I did see some very bad examples …and of course Joe Public thinks any body in an RAF Uniform is RAF…so I can understand negative comments from regulars, especially when said examples are on an active station!
…but I do agree about the No1’s shrinking …
I still have mine…but not a chance of getting into them now!

Some people just have a slow metabolism and a quick pie eating arm

1 Like

I’ve misplaced my medical chit…for my over-active pie arm…

2 Likes

I still aim to hit 11m11s run for the 1.5 mile fitness test. I’m somewhat older than the target age bracket for that time. I probably wouldn’t manage the bleep though, due to a past injury.

So by one count I’d be OK, on another I’d be binned off. That’s the problem with applying those measures to volunteers.

3 Likes

Point to note is sometimes regulars can’t hit those standards.

I haven’t done a “proper” fitness test since 2018. I’ve done the Rockport walk instead of a bleep test until I was signed off in 2020.

Hasn’t stopped me deploying. I was on Op SHADER in 2021 and something different early '22.

I am (or was, current situation aside) not unfit though, 45lbs off the 1000lb club. Passing a fitness test isn’t the be all and end all.

2 Likes

And you can easily have someone who looks good in uniform but are less useful than a chocolate teapot.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s not fitness that is vital, but what you bring to the organisation.

2 Likes

Exactly.
Uniformed CFAVs can bring a hell of a lot to the table without passing a fitness test:

• RCO
  • SSDIC
  • Fieldcraft.

List is too long to put here.

2 Likes

You sure about 1000lb ?? that puts you at over 400kg, or is it another sci fi joke that I don’t get ?

2 Likes

Is a fitness thing! Bench, squat and deadlift 1000lb total.

2 Likes

Ah, so I’m about 1000lb shy of that, but not unfit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have spent about £1000 on unused gym memberships over my time…

…does that count?
MyEmoticons-com__weight+lifting

You cancelled after a month then?

2 Likes

You can be (civilian) pilot without being capable of passing the RAF fitness test, and still hold a class 1…

2 Likes