DisAstra Post

That’s a whole new can of worms.

All of our services recruit from age 16. So technically we still do recruit child soldiers.

The ADCC had it’s purpose during the 40s for that, but without (as impending as it may be) another global total war, you’re right, it can’t be justified today.

Yes, and it’s a point regularly raised at the UN against us. It’s only by the skin of our teeth (that you need parental permission, it counts as training, you can’t go overseas, and you have to sign up again at 18) that we get away with it.

Didn’t know about the signing up again, but I know you’ve got the option to bang out at any time.

When I first got involved in higher level cadet stuff (c.2012? via the CCF Association) that was definitely the mantra. ‘We aren’t a recruiting organisation, because of the UN.’ In fact I felt they took too hard a line, and we could be more active in recruiting among 18+. Seems the pendulum has swung.

regardless it’s true of us, sadly.

1 Like

Who can’t fulfil a fitness test?

So what? You haven’t got one. This is specific to serving personnel. This isn’t an issue for RAFAC as you have no such requirement to pass one. Don’t need to do a bleep test to instruct cadets…

Ironically, I can’t pass the fitness test due to… disabilities… But I haven’t let that stop me going away for deployments. It’s a common complaint for full timers. Same pay, but not the same commitment. I still have the same commitment but am not required to pass the fitness test.

Ironically there was an IBN just before covid that’s banned us from doing / conducting beep tests

1 Like

Good. It’s a stupid measure for fitness anyway.

2 Likes

Nothing sad about it. It’s horses for courses. It’s an irrelevant measure for us, and I’ve seen regulars in far worse shadow than some volunteers.

1 Like

Bit personally attacked…

But absolutely right. I’ve seen some very fit CFAVs. And some absolutely gopping regs.
I don’t see the C4i Cpl I knew from a few years ago, gut spilling over his stable belt taking cadets on Nijmegen or DofE expeds.
But on the other side, I don’t see some adult SNCOs capable of keeping up with me, and my injuries, on deployment.

Neither of these are comparable and trying to equate the too is indeed, very silly.

4 Likes

:100:

3 Likes

Oi, I resemble that remark.

4 Likes

i wouldn’t say irrelevant, unfortunately poor physical health and obesity is endemic in the uk, as influencers of the next gen we should be setting the best example.

to be clear I am not talking about disabilities

Let’s bring in fitness tests for teachers while we are at it.

2 Likes

The US’s Civil Air Patrol has a simple system that while Air Force standards of grooming, fitness and weight don’t apply to CAP instructors, those who don’t meet them are not permitted to wear uniform - they have a polo shirt rig instead like CIs here. (There’s actually a 10% allowance on the weight.) This also applies to those who choose not to meet the AF requirements on hair styles, etc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi_j_CD9aj9AhVHXsAKHVOpBLEQFnoECCcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gocivilairpatrol.com%2Fmedia%2Fcms%2FUniforms_77050D80D89C8.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0Ve1h4t9flZ3xSvQpc2T9V

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=21344.0

2 Likes

That’s not the worst idea in the world if the RAF wants to become precious about dress and appearance.

What about Cadets that don’t meet the standards?

The RAF might need to start providing their own light blue footprint as a consequence however.

1 Like

Not a bad idea.

I might fall into that group though…

My No1s don’t fit me…but they were measured up for me as a 22yr old…and I’m nearly 40…

So were mine…they still fit me fine :wink:

I blame the wife and her cooking…

Yes, I suggested it as a model but in the end they decided that it was a can of worms they didn’t want to open.