Diabolical weather on DofE exped

I cannot stop looking back at my most recent expedition and how we could not have been more backstabed by the weather we had on both days. I know DofE expeditions don’t always submit to Mother Nature but holy cow, we just wanted it to stop.

Day 1

Wind and rain. Nothing else. Walked up a hill with gales and horizontal rain that felt like being pelted with hailstones. Some respite after we set up our tents but we were terrified of even the smallest speck of rain.

Day 2

As soon as we started moving, we had a day’s worth of rain in just a few minutes. Scattered showers after that, but by that point, our tolerance for the weather had run dry.

Moral of the story: never do expeds in October, or risk running foul of Mother Nature

If it ain’t raining, it ain’t training💪

At least now when you do silver/gold you can look back and say "yeah I’ve been through worse!":wink:

4 Likes

That’s a pretty good line, perhaps I should try and remember that.

But yeah, at least whenever someone complains about the weather, I can confidently look at them and say “please, carry on”

1 Like

The fact you’re still talking about it and reflecting on it is part of the ethos of the Award itself. You’ve shown grit, determination and resilience in coping with the weather and getting through your expedition.

Sounds like a healthy dose of Type 2 fun to me!

3 Likes

No such thing as poor weather just poor wardrobe selection

2 Likes