Deposit for Sqn owned Uniform Loans

As a Sqn that does not have a local service benefactor we do not have stock of MTP but are still issuing from our dwindling stock of DPM.
With the large Covid inspired turnover in cadets there is a danger we may not get a lot of kit returned (despite Loan Agreements etc) therefore we are running out of serviceable kit
Thinking ahead to if we have to invest in MTP…

• Do you take a deposit for Uniform loans?
  • Do you include a factor in your subs calculations?
  • If you take a deposit how easy is it to admin?
  • Where is it kept (in Gen Account but ringfenced somehow)?

I am sure there are many ways/pitfalls but keen to get some advice.

I’ve never issued any uniform from stores on the basis of getting it back. It was always been gifted to us in some way and has gone to a cadet who will use it.

I’d not entertain the unit buying MTP etc for the cadet, they can private purchase if required from ebay seconds but sounds like a financial committment that isn’t needed.

We used to take a deposit of £10 when I was a cadet for all uniform. Once a cadet left the £10 minus any outstanding money was returned.

Fast forward a good number of years and a parent complained about the sqn taking money for a uniform deposit as it was meant to be free issue. It opened up a can of worms. We had no longer been taking a deposit for blues and explained it was not for uniform but DPMs and walking trousers (old light weights) the WSO sided with the parent slightly in that the name was uniform deposit so we should not refer to it as uniform but sqn issue clothing.

The money was added into the normal day to day accounts and clearly identified in any paperwork as such but a book was kept of who did pay was also kept.

To be honest when cadets came to leave they had 1 of everything but returned 2 or 3 of most things and the parents normally said keep the money for the sqn.

No. No money as it is a nightmare to administer. Just accept we won’t get some back. But then we’ve always been able to get good second hand DPM/MTP so it hasn’t been an issue.

They did it when I was a Cadet was a complete nightmare to administer with lots of moaning by parents.

If you can’t issue to the next Generation of Cadets because this Generation have been selfish that’s not your fault.

I find with enough phone calls and emails most parents return stuff eventually just to make me go away.

Isn’t there regs we’re meant to bin or return stores or something… Or am i imagining that

1 Like

i think what you are thinking of is for “soiled” uniform - not fit for reissue yes it should be binned.

I recall when I was a Cadet 99% of what i was issued was part worn. I think my beret was the only new item.
Now as Staff and seeing things on different units we see much more new stuff come through than we ever have, not just Blues but some greens too - but then we have our parent station within our county so having friends who can help source gear isn’t the challenge it might be for others.

the only time i have heard of money transferring is for Sqn branded kit - £10 paid for a greens tshirt for No3 wear and a sports top for well…sports.
I have known others going further with hoodies and with a higher cost to match…but can’t say i know of money used for uniform, either as a loan, deposit or otherwise.

Kids sqn don’t supply mtp or boots it’s all private purchase. No deposit for blue uniform

We supply MTP and usually get it back when cadets leave.

My old contingent took a £25 deposit through the school bill which was returned through a credit to the final bill. But they did that with text books and all sorts of other equipment so they had a good admin system in place.

I would imagine that a Sqn would be in a sticky area taking money, even as a deposit, for blue uniform. It doesn’t belong to the Sqn so who are we to levy a charge? Even more problematic if it came to not returning the deposit.

Sqn owned kit would be different, but still probably more of a faff than it’s worth.

I signpost cadets or more so parents to local surplus mongers for DPM stuff. We used to carry a stock of but the gash bags were so hit and miss in terms of size, what you got and condition, we stopped getting it. Another nail in its coffin was cadets growing and expecting a replacement or when we gave it too them too short/long,/small/big and being disappointed.

Money has to be handled through the CWC so they would have the last say. Something like a deposit for uniform which would be retained for up to 7 years would be a pain. The other thing is who will assess the condition and determine a return of deposit or not, which just smells of aggro.

I’ve looked at this from a few angles and I’ve largely come to the same point of view.

We don’t have access to a supply of MTP, anything we have is from Leavers who have chosen to donate when they return their Blue uniform or from time to time Cadets who have outgrown stuff.

We use that for those who can’t afford to buy their own or as loans for camps / courses. We don’t take a deposit but it goes on their card.

Thanks all - as i expected
Just wanted to check opinions and practices
Will close this now

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.