Defence Review

Surge medical capabilities aren’t - imv - really required: the truth is that modern munitions are so expensive, and therefore we buy so few of them, that in the kind of conflict where you’d think we’d need to surge our medical capabilities we actually wouldn’t because the war would finish long before we got to that point.

There’s a much more difficult argument how about you fight an enemy that has far more tanks than you have anti-tank weapons, but that’s an argument for 2040.

2 Likes

At that point even an ancient T-55 rolling up the beach is a problem, as long as it still has in-date ammo.

For the more recent episodes where advanced weaponry was used, the “need it now” concept was stretched back as far as the manufacturer to fire up production; the logistics cupboard was very nearly bare.

For gnd attack stuff, this is also linked to the “minimal collateral damage” requirement. Gotta be a “smart” weapon to (a) maximise first time kill opportunity & (b) don’t whack civilians at the same time.

Problem is… for what we do, we need a mix of everything. From Trident II D5 missile to 5.56mm ball rounds.

Increased pressure to up skill and kit for cyber defence and offence, mixed with a need to protect our Nation, its assets and our allies means defence spending should be rising. Not the opposite.

This rediculous notion that defence can be bought cheap or areas cut is farcical.

Yes, review Whitehall programme management. Yes, reduce contractor and project costs. But dont slash front line, support or reserve capability.

It’s not rocket science. But then politicians arent exactly known for being geniuses.

Factor in also the Contractorisation driven by VSOs with their snouts in the promotion trough.

Eg: The Voyager PFI, and MFTS both of which cost an arm and a leg.

In terms of Flying training, in a space of a mere few years we have gone from THE best system in the world to an utter unmitigated disaster (7 years to get to the Front Line!).

Selling off the MQs to Annington Homes worked really well NOT!

And don’t even get me started on the Pay as You Starve ESS / ISS / SODEXO debacle.

2 Likes

this has always been an odd one for me…

i will typically “over order” on breakfast (ie go above the “basic” level) to which the chef/catering staff go “you need to pay extra for that” - given i am paying for it anyway will the extra 30p for the additional sausage and bacon really influence how i feel when i get to the till…

I think, given the quality of meats available, they might just be trying to inform you that 30p is a lot of money for not very much substance :wink:

4 Likes

I wish I got subsidised food at work… £6 for a bacon sandwich

1 Like

Make your own then bring it in!!

We don’t have subsidised food, but we do have a break out room with two full espresso machines, 3 grinders with different coffees, single origin real hot chocolate in 6 varieties, a whole host of artisan teas… and everyone can receive Barista training… So you can make your own gourmet coffees, all free of charge… Saves on the Costa bill!

2 Likes

our work canteen has been free during lockdown!
a nice “thank you” from the company for coming in during the tough times. I may have only been in the office once a week but was a nice treat to get a free lunch!

3 Likes

… the Defence Command Paper … proposals will include cuts to troop numbers and the scaling back of so-called “legacy platforms”, which are parts of the military that have been prominent since the 20th century

According to the Telegraph, so make of it what you will, but reading the article through some of the suggestions on this thread might not be far off the mark…

Sodexo. £6 for a grit bag. When the local
Spar does a meal deal
For £3.50.

2 Likes

That sounds awfully unappealing

2 Likes

It was better than the grit bag and a better selection.

3 Likes

Tesco meal deal is so much better than a brown lunch bag from the mess.

I am hoping the papers out tomorrow cover more than Spar v Tesco v MOD issue packed lunch.

4 Likes

It’s a huge subject. ;-).

£15 million to operate each year. £1 million income from sponsorship and 25 shows at £20,000 a pop = £1.5 mill total income, which goes straight to MOD and not RAF.

interesting, but got a citation for those figures?