DCCT replacement (blue-something)

FS at Brize mentioned that his DCCT is due for replacement later this year with a new system - blue-something.

Does anyone know what this entails (other than yet another course :unsure: )

No idea but I think its a horrendous piece of kit anyway.

It will never replace a day at the range. Its just a very expensive toy that serves very little purpose for the Military. It may well be good for cadets to get a little something different but thats about it.

I expect he means BlueFire. BlueFire was introduced on DCCT Enhanced systems and is a tetherless system using gas charged magazines. It is only currently on a subset of DCCT(E) weapons. I expect he was talking about it being introduced for the L85A2.

If you were using a Enhanced DCCT, then BlueFire wouldn’t change the experience other than not having a load of cables dropping from the rifle.

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24783]No idea but I think its a horrendous piece of kit anyway.

It will never replace a day at the range. Its just a very expensive toy that serves very little purpose for the Military. It may well be good for cadets to get a little something different but thats about it.[/quote]

It does have its uses, but in my opinion it’s far too expensive for what it does.

It’s good for simulating stoppage drills as part of a more realistic practice (a bit more ‘in situ’ than a WHT at least) and you can delay the recoil to see if the firers are flinching. The sensors and graphs are also very useful. You don’t need fancy kit to coach effectively, but it works well for some.

[quote=“jacques” post=24789][quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24783]No idea but I think its a horrendous piece of kit anyway.

It will never replace a day at the range. Its just a very expensive toy that serves very little purpose for the Military. It may well be good for cadets to get a little something different but thats about it.[/quote]

It does have its uses, but in my opinion it’s far too expensive for what it does.

It’s good for simulating stoppage drills as part of a more realistic practice (a bit more ‘in situ’ than a WHT at least) and you can delay the recoil to see if the firers are flinching. The sensors and graphs are also very useful. You don’t need fancy kit to coach effectively, but it works well for some.[/quote]

So does all the range time. Especially since the change in ammunition suppliers. I noticed a lot more stoppages with recent ammunition than before.

Stoppages and anticipation of shots can be set up and practised with simple techniques.
As a bit of cadets to use its probably good to use. But for fulltime users (not just frontline units) its a bit naff.
Plus everytime I have used it, it started with usually a 2 hour wait to get someone into fix it because it was broken/setup incorrectly/notworking.

Nothing can substitute getting on the range and feeling and seeing the rounds go down. Even blank firing has more use than it. And open to the weather.

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24792][quote=“jacques” post=24789][quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24783]No idea but I think its a horrendous piece of kit anyway.

It’s good for simulating stoppage drills as part of a more realistic practice (a bit more ‘in situ’ than a WHT at least) and you can delay the recoil to see if the firers are flinching. The sensors and graphs are also very useful. You don’t need fancy kit to coach effectively, but it works well for some.[/quote]

So does all the range time. Especially since the change in ammunition suppliers. I noticed a lot more stoppages with recent ammunition than before.

Stoppages and anticipation of shots can be set up and practised with simple techniques.
As a bit of cadets to use its probably good to use. But for fulltime users (not just frontline units) its a bit naff.
Plus everytime I have used it, it started with usually a 2 hour wait to get someone into fix it because it was broken/setup incorrectly/notworking.

Nothing can substitute getting on the range and feeling and seeing the rounds go down. Even blank firing has more use than it. And open to the weather.[/quote]
I like DCCT because its indoors and air conditioned. Don’t like baking on an open range in the summer. (Don’t care if it’s blowing a houlie in winter though)

You can analyze a shot/shooter much better, and it should be used as a progression to LFMT, and not the usual ‘we couldn’t get a real range so this will have to do’ alternative

RE: Stoppages. What kind? I have noticed an increase in what can only be weak gas pressure meaning the rifle fails to hold open on the last round or fails to clear the ejection opening and stacks up with the next round. (The rifles were clean and correctly oiled.) I have yet to have any rounds that have failed to fire at all, but we did have a couple of boxes where the bullets were seated too low in the neck of the case. We did not fire them but returned them with a defect report.