CWO Recommendation Process

I am hopefully going to be going for Cadet Warrant Officer within the next year. I know that the Cadet Flight Sergeant has to have an interview with their OC Wing before they can be promoted. I am wondering what exactly a Squadron’s OC has to do before the interview is organised. Is there a certain form or paperwork which is done? I’m just curious as to what happens behind the scenes.

Thank you :slight_smile:

[quote=“cpl connor” post=22898]I am hopefully going to be going for Cadet Warrant Officer within the next year. I know that the Cadet Flight Sergeant has to have an interview with their OC Wing before they can be promoted. I am wondering what exactly a Squadron’s OC has to do before the interview is organised. Is there a certain form or paperwork which is done? I’m just curious as to what happens behind the scenes.
[/quote]

I assume your username is a bit out of date :smiley:

The process for appointment of CWOs is in ACP20, Personnel Instruction 503 and it isn’t particularly detailed.

[ul]

[li=3]Recommendations for the appointment of CWOs will be initiated by the Squadron Commanding Officer (Sqn CO). CWO appointments will cease on the 20th birthday.[/li]

[li]Recommendations are to be made on Pers Form 5-03; once complete Sqn COs are to pass it to Wing HQ for action. If the appointment is agreed by the OC Wing, the form is to be forwarded to HQ Air Cadets (P2b1) for final approval.[/li]

[li]A Certificate of Appointment signed by the Comdt Air Cadets will be sent to the Wing HQ for presentation to the individual. The date of appointment is the date approved by the Wing Headquarters or the date the cadet reaches the age of 18, whichever is the later. [/li]
[/ul]

Pers Form 5-03 is mostly personal details of the cadet and it has a box for “additional comments” from the OC.
What else they decide to do in choosing candidates is very much left up to them.

Yeahhhh may be a tad out of date :stuck_out_tongue: I guess it shows what can change in 3 years.

Thank you, Incubus, that’s just what I wanted to know. Is the certificate of appointment actually signed by the Commandant Air Cadets or is it a printed signature?

Not signed by the Comdt anymore mine was signed by CoS and that was in October. Does look like a real signature though.

I never received mine :frowning:

So, what is everybody’s take on IBN 2/17?

not too sure…I can understand the thought process behind the change
but…
local level, does that mean sqn or wing level?
I can see Sqn OCs promoting cadets without real thought, where as before they would be slightly hesitant as they would need to prove their worth at an interview stage and and a probable increase especially when it comes nearer to the cadets timing out date.
CWO is the highest rank a cadet can gain surely a certificate is the least they should be given, even if it means you enter CWO into SMS and it sends a certificate automatically (similar to what happens with the 1st class books)

I can see Pro’s and Con’s in this

Not exactly clear is it? It says promoted locally but also says that the establishments still need to be adhered to. Does that mean that OC’s can promote but need to check the Wing has a vacancy? Or does it mean that things are still done the way they always have been, but we don’t need to tell HQAC anymore?

I shall be contacting my WHQ for clarification on this one!

Seems quite evident that at long last (since 2003) CWO is being officially regarded as what it is just another rank and a badge and not the status it was pre 2003. Maybe this is the beginning of the start of reducing the upper age to 18.

Why we bother with establishments has always baffled me, given that no one actually recognises/adheres to it. I remember first becoming aware of establishments in 1980 when I started my Staff P2 and asking the CO as what we had didn’t match up, and he said they were no more than a guide that no one ever bothered with.

Locally our policy remains so that FS’s are put forward by OCs and sit a Wing Board

They’ll still carry on with that process, but doesn’t get away from the underlying way you can see it is going.

I was quite amazed that they were put onto universe.

As far as I can tell it’s just saying that CWOs no longer need to be added on to Universe, something that won’t affect us at unit level.