Crab Football

I’ve tried to search the inter-web for reports on injuries suffered from playing crab football.

Can’t find any.

However, from here, it says:

Attacking players can shoot from very close range which stings the palms and could easily break a goalie’s fingers or wrist. Proper goalkeeping gloves will help prevent injuries…

I wonder if that is the basis??

So, I would ask for full details / number of events / circumstances. If played world-wide in schools, I would have expected parental litigation if kids had been so injured, with many details / media reports available

For this type of crab footballl, maybe different! :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is suggesting they don’t have a reason - it’s too niche an activity and too randomly sent out not to have a reason.

What we’re arguing is that banning something is very rarely the best way of going about something. People are still going to do it. We’re annoyed at the method (a random note on SharePoint from someone unidentifiable), and then the justification being made up and giving us more questions. Simply saying it’s not in ACP300 is idiotic. Lots of things we do aren’t specifically listed in that list of activities. And as Batfink has said, there is very little regulation of sporting activities in general. Lack of courses, lack of oversight. And I reckon hockey and rugby give far far more injuries but they aren’t banned. Why not?

1 Like

Because they’re on a list of what MoD believe to be a acceptable risk! Laughable really.

1 Like

Back in the 50’s and early 60’s, boxing was an ACO authorised sport. It featured in many editions of Air Cadet magazines.

Now they ban crab football but they view rugby and hockey as acceptable. You couldn’t make it up.

3 Likes

Health and safety gone mad… A few weeks ago one of our senior NCO’s was leaving to go to uni, she brought a cake down (after checking allergies and that), again eating cake isn’t mentioned in acp300 so I guess she broke the rules?.. Sometimes I wonder what HQAC health and safety officers are thinking…

1 Like

also, rugby, hockey, mountain biking, climbing, kayaking/water sports, can all end up having injuries, but they don’t ban those, I played crab football from year 2 primary school, and the primary schools still play it now…

1 Like

I don’t get this hysteria that people will sue the MOD because their little ones get an injury.
Do these same parents sue schools? Err no. Having had 3 children go through school over a period of 19 years and two of them quite sporty, they all kopped injuries of one sort or another as did many others and at no point did we hear any stories of people suing the schools or clubs they were involved with. If anyone had we would have known / heard about it.
Our children grew up during the worst period of ‘ambulance chasing’, when you were almost encouraged to sue people.
So why would these same parents be any different if their children were in the Air Cadets?

I do wonder if the people running the organisation actually have children as they certainly don’t act like it and if they do, they have no rationality in how they react to the slightest thing.

1 Like

Just been browsing through the list, as per ACP300, Annex C, FI 306 “ACTIVITIES COVERED BY THE MOD INDEMNITY AND ATC INSURANCE.”

So, off-road motor-biking, club swinging (that’s the exercise type, not the night-club type!), abseiling, Bridge Building (covering Construction of Pontoon Bridges over Rivers), Caving/Potholing (inc. Mine Exploration), Cutlass Drill, Field Gun Displays (but no pyros operated by cadets!), rafting, white water rafting, to name but a few, are “permitted” & covered.

Now, comparing some of those, especially field gun displays & cutlass drill, I fail to see how crab football can be seen as a non-permitted activity!

I would be in favour of bringing it back. Might give these kids a bit of good life experience.

Hang on, where do I sign up for cutlass still?!

Having, until recently, worked in the Government Legal Department team dealing with PI claims against the MOD you would be suprised at the number of claims brought by parents across the cadet forces.

Right, who is going to email ceso “at” aircadets.org & ask for a list of the injuries sustained in crab football??

I said that to the Commandant, she was shall we say not impressed.

1 Like

there is an argument that flying/AEF has fatally injured three Cadets in my time and so should be higher up the list for “banning” than crab football…

this does smack as a knee jerk reaction - why i don’t know.

i cannot see why it cannot be added to ACP300 - surely that is just as easy as banning it? by the sound of @MikeJenvey’s research there is plenty on the list we simply wouldn’t do so is ACP300 overdue for an review and update?

1 Like

Where have you been for the last 4 years? You can’t ban something that doesn’t exist :wink:

8 Likes

While the above is true, ban flying and that really would be the end of the Air Cadets, so they put up with a chance.
We were told at a COs conference when the gliding got stopped, that a reason for not going civvie was the MOD had got a twitchy sphincter in case a cadet got injured or worse and their parents sued them and it hit the news. We all said not to forget it would lose some cushy little jobs for the girls and boys coming out of the RAF, which the Wg Cdr took offence to.

oh i am not suggesting it should be banned. just adding to the discussion about risk Vs ACP300 listed.

Something which proves life changing but on ACP300 - ok
something which 8 yrs old play at Cub Scouts, and causes minor injuries but not ACP300 listed - not ok.

it is like the Assault rifle Vs kinder egg in USA argument…!

2 Likes

How many of these resulted in a pay out?

Those stats you’d need to FOI. I couldn’t give you answers other than say not all of them.

Apparently, there were 3 x F492 reports in the last yr relating to crab football. I have asked for more information; in isolation, 3 such reports means very little.

I also noted that simple sport activities such as squash, dodgeball, badminton & golf are not included.

In the interim, please message your Wg Sports Off (I have done) & ask them to raise a formal request for crab football to be added to the approved activities.