Covid's impact on the Volunteer Cadre

This reminds me of another gripe of mine at the moment - not practicing what we preach.

Training resources that don’t follow what we’re taught in MOI.
Leaders that don’t follow Bronze Leadership (let alone anything higher).
Risk assessments that are crammed into the boxes, rather than actually following the process.

4 Likes

Increasingly being asked.

1 Like

Eventually. I know this is the way it will happen to me too.

Until then. HQAC can reap what they have sown.

They have taken the keenest and frankly a highly capable officer and pooed hard and fast on them.
This derge from above, admin burden and loss of activity is fast out weighing any benefits.

And yes… there might be sycophants in the wings ready to join the circular firing squad after we are all gone, but theres only so far a bunch of yes men will take you.

4 Likes

I find what you are all saying so sad , lack of care from those above is nothing new however it seems to me to be getting worse with every post . Perhaps its time to remind the powers that be in their ivory tower that without you at the bottom theirs no need for them at the top.
Is it time to ask “The Air League” if they would support a cadet type organisation with a BIG emphasis on flying. “The circle of life.” Ok prob. Not.
Good luck to you all.

2 Likes

Great idea, but ACTO 35.

I think Pablo is suggesting binning off the ATC and asking the Air League to set up a new cadet force, maybe called the Air Cadet Corps (ACC would be rubbing salt in the wound at HQ) in a similar way to how the SCC are run.

5 Likes

It may not help but I have plenty places on Air Rifle and Short Range RCO courses up here.

3 Likes

This was my read too. And at this point it’s not a bad idea.

Without wanting this to turn into a Monty Python sketch, we all know what the RAF has done for us, but what can they continue to do, bearing in mind how much smaller they are than us?

1 Like

Yep the R.A.F won’t let go,as you are too useful to it, from been a “face in your town” (corporate polo shirts) to been a major uniform user ( as with many contracts the more you buy the cheaper each item is ! )
As for RCO courses that’s great news (you get your ticket then can’t use it due to not having a having a medical trauma team with you sorry.)

Do we know if the new Commandants Warrant Officer lurks on here? If she does, then this thread needs to be top of her reading list, if not, she needs an invite. I’ve never met her but heard lots of good things about her, so if anyone has the ears of the people who can start to make the changes we need, then it’s her.

3 Likes

There’s certainly enough senior people that do lurk on here that it’ll hopefully be seen. Pretty sure RC N looks here quite often at least.

I’ve had a solid day to think how best to reply to this thread and still not worked it out.

She does and I imagine she’s read it.

3 Likes

One of the good guys

8 Likes

Absolutely agree!

1 Like

Oh how times have changed.

4 Likes

Are you talking about a previous office holder perchance?

2 Likes

That, and how in those dark times, SW Region was often held up as a home of good practice…

4 Likes

I tried that 2 years ago and Wing refused as they didn’t want to pay the transport costs

1 Like

That’s a pity, we have CFAVs regularly attending course with 1 and 7 SATT with no hassles.

1 Like

It’s another example of disparity between WHQs across the county of what is/isn’t acceptable. There also often seems to be double standards within WHQs depending on who’s asking. If your mates with the WExO you can get flights to Scotland authorised but if you’re not then you get questioned on a simple ask for a minibus :man_shrugging:

1 Like