Cosford Airshow

i can’t say I have ever been to Cosford but this is standard for those working at RIAT as there are a breadth of tasks which suit the breadth of uniform we offer.

I can’t say if that is the same for Cosford though (are there any Cadets “working” at the show?) - it is disappointing if visiting units were in greens though

With the supply chain of blues uniform being on its knees in several places it may be that they have better green uniform.

1 Like

that is a good point.

I did see on SM a whole Sqn in Greens and Sqn t-shirts at a bag pack which may well have been for consistent uniformity rather than have some in blues and some not…
I know i speak of an “ideal world” but a shame that as a blues organisation we struggle to provide the blue uniform

1 Like

single or twin seat?

RAF Shawbury GC had single seat, they were a little out the way on a cut through behind food stalls and were manned by regular RAF club members based at Cosford.

Twin seat in the RAF village roughly behind the static Juno was from 632 VGS, had a couple of female RAFAC Sgts and another male who were particularly active with cadets and public chatting away, letting them use the controls and showing them round the aircraft.

Yes - it was a VGS. Really great job by the Sgt we spoke to, correctly pitched for the kids age and clearly very passionate about her gliding :clap:t2:

2 Likes

It may have been down to Sqn practicality (e.g. drill night on Monday).

I know we’ve asked this question at Sqn before & I’ve always said working Blues as MTP is its too warm for an event like cosford (also means you can spot which cadets are yours from the brassard number).

I’ve also said that working blues is to show which cadets are working to support the day in MTP (like RIAT) or doing the PR stand & VIPs (wedge woods). makes it easy on who needs to be where.

1 Like

I saw the masses packing their chairs and picnic blankets after they did their stint, why they were leaving I have no idea as they had a decent spot where I was.

I saw quite a few in greens along with the mismatch of blues and wedgewood. The last airshow we went to was civvie dress, who decided cadets went in uniform and who decided on what uniform they were to attend in? Midway through the day, their ties were off and top buttons were undone while wearing their various bought hats.

I did laps of the event and must have missed them as I don’t recall seeing it :grimacing:

We had a mix of blues and the newer cadets wore a Sqn T-Shirt. I know not all Sqn’s choose to have their own T-Shirts but it would be ideal instead of greens so that they can been seen and identified as a cadet.

If they had specified WB or wedgwoods we wouldn’t have been able to go - my cadets left at 1600 and went straight to Bramley for a nightex…

The ‘powers that be’ did originally specify Wedgwood for our cadets, but that changed to working blue the week before. Not sure where those orders came from.

But who cares, really? Did the cadets have a good time? Did they actually see some live flying military aircraft for a change? Did they actually have some exposure to the RAF? Yes to all. That’s all that matters.

7 Likes

Greetings chaps, following a cadet filled Cosford Show could I ask the community to flood faceache twitter ect about the pants decision by the IWM to not use cadets for any duties at this years Duxford Airshows. This is a vital fundraiser for a number of local Squadrons and it seems that paying a private company is more important than supporting local cadet Squadrons. Thanks.

Was a reason given/Duxford approached in advance/whq asked to check?

Were cadets involved last year, or has it been 2 years and the link lost, or whoever used to organise it at either end has moved on?

No, same staff reason we were told was insurance post manchester attack. I would be good if we had someone from the insurance industry on here.

That was 2017…

And cadets would come under MOD indemnity, surely…

And even if it was linked, and we did need to be solely under their coverage, there’s still the same (ish) number of people to cover…

OK, I don’t get it.