Correct Rank Abbreviations from Cadet onwards

G’day All

Hope can help.

I am seeking the exact wording for what your Rank Abbriviations are for all Ranks within the ATC & Officers within the RAFVR(T)

Also can I ask what you refer to your Adult NCO Ranks by

Example here in Aus. I am a SGT(AAFC) equivalent to a SGT(ATC) obviously however although we are ‘Airman’ under the Air Force Regs & Cadet Forces Regs we are actually termed Instructos of Cadets (IOCs) as we are not Enlisted in the AAFC. This covers all of us from AC(AAFC)s to WOFF(AAFC) we don’t all start at SGT(AAFC) unless you have prior service at that Rank or are still serving and at that Rank

Ok, here goes:

Sgt (ATC)
FS (ATC)
WO (ATC)

OCdt RAFVR(T)
Plt Off RAFVR(T)
Fg Off RAFVR(T)
Flt Lt RAFVR(T)
Sqn Ldr RAFVR(T)
Wg Cdr RAFVR(T)
Gp Capt RAFVR(T)
Air Cdre RAFVR(T)

1 Like

Air Cdre RAFVR(T)? Don’t you mean RAFR as the CAC is FTRS?

I do indeed mean Air Cdre RAFVR(T). We appear to have had just one, so far.

In this, our 75th anniversary, it’s appropriate that we perhaps remember this unsung hero (eclipsed by Charmier, but a huge part of the reason we’re still here)

We also (arguably) have an MRAF RAFVR(T)… I’m assuming we should all know the details about that…I posted about that, years ago

could you post a link to info on this MRAF RAFVR(T)? I’d be intrigued to know more, but can’t find anything from a quick google search

For some reason, my original post on our Air Cadet Central has disappeared (must’ve been in the old archive).

Explore Graham Taylor

There’s a version of it over in the archive for the Canadian forum
http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/showthread.php?28928-HRH-Duke-of-Edinburgh-dual-RAF-RCAF(CIC)-commission

Perhaps worth noting its:
Sgt (ATC) Bloggs
Etc.

but…
OCdt Bloggs RAFVR(T)
Etc.

1 Like

Here in Aus. Prince Phillip is obviously the

• MRAAF

• FADM of the RAN &

• FM in the Army

However within the cadet system it is only the Australian Army Cadets that have him as Ceremomial figurehead as the Colonel-in-Cheif

& have his Banner

1 Like

You missed one role in the organisation. Not really a rank as such, but one where use is confused: CI.

Many CIs refer to themselves as ‘CI Bloggs’ on paper. When in my view it arguably should be ‘Mr Bloggs, CI’. as CI is a title/position, not a rank per se.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Here we use the Term/Rank CIV which stands for Civilian Instructor Volunteer so as not to Confuse with the Position of Chief Instructor (CI)

The have no entitlement to day to day uniform and may only ware DPUs when in the field and also Flying Suit if at an Aviation Training Squadron

No Special Rank slide or Cap Badge at all

Ok so we have the Adult Ranks what about Cadet Ranks

ie

CDT
LCDT etc

Reason for my questions, Please see below

Rank Insignia of the Australian Defence Force Cadets

I also have produced booklets for the NZCF, the Canadian Cadets and working on a Singaporean book

UK will come next obviously with a Generic ACF insignia given the different Regiments align to foster units and can adopt local customs unlike here in Australia

(Good point, Baldrick, regarding CIs…I was thinking entirely in terms of uniformed staff. And, in my opinion, ‘CI’ is a pre-nominal rank equivalent, so I should’ve included it)

And as to Cadet rank abbreviations…

Cdt
Cdt Jnr Cpl (CCF RAF only)
Cdt Cpl
Cdt Sgt
Cdt FS
Cdt WO or CWO

However, any/all of the above could (in theory) be prefixed by the word ‘Staff’ if the Cadet in question is over 18 (ATC only).

In practice, we tend not to say (or record, abbreviated or otherwise) the word ‘Cadet’ for Cadet warrant or non-commissioned officers, unless there’s a specific operational reason to do so.

Note that unlike Australia and Canada, for us the term ‘Leading Air Cadet’ is a classification and [I]not[/I] a rank.

So to confirm a Cadet with the rank of Cdt has done their mandatory Home Training and deemed suitable and then goes of an does JNCO Course for Promotion training to Cdt Cpl?

I would suggest that OCdt RAFVR(T) isn’t actually a thing: while we may call them OCdt their actual rank is Plt Off RAFVR(T)

The OCdt RAFVR(T) rank is an anomaly, in that the ACO [I]states[/I] that outwith the organisation, holders are to be referred to as Plt Off…but requires them at all times to wear just a VRTd white rank-slide. And expects them to be saluted, despite appearing to be uncommissioned.

There’s a simple solution to this. Just rename OCdt RAFVR(T) to Acting Plt Off RAFVR(T), thus making them exactly the same as APO RAFVR(UAS).

Reflects what they’ve been gazetted as.

Uses existing APO rank-slides (white band overlaid by Plt Off braid), substitute the gilt VRs for VRTs, sorted. In No1 dress use lapel tabs surmounted by gilt VRTs. And consistently-require the wearing of white disks/bands behind beret/cap badges.

I believe CCF(RAF) JCpl became LCpl at around the same time LCpl was introduced in the RAF Regiment.

Aha! Is this actually the case, then, now in the CCF(RAF)? I did think at the time, when the RAF Regt introduced L/Cpls, that really they should’ve used the term JCpl, in deference to that rank having an existing RAF connotation within the CCF.

Ironically, it will be the case that RAF Regt L/Cpls when wearing No.2 dress [I]will[/I] be wearing slides originally-produced for CCF(RAF) JCpls.

Incidently…do the both the ranks of LAC and SAC still exist within the RAF Regt, following the advent of LCpls? I’d’ve thought SAC might’ve been consequently-redundant

Correct they became LCpls at the same time the RAF Regiment decided to introduce the rank.

Yes, it’s a shame the RAF Regt didn’t adopt JCpl, but if the whole point was to provide parity with Army LCpl, it made sense to give the rank the same name too!

I’m sure SAC still exists in the RAF Regt - most gunners will be SAC unless selected for promotion (SAC equivalent to Army Pte(?)). I expect LAC exists too but probably only at Honington - most will be SAC by the completion of their RAF Regt training(?).

AFAIK, LAC & SAC are still ranks in the RAF Regiment. Unless things have changed, one graduated from the Basic Gunner course as an LAC and spent a year or so on a Sqn before promotion to SAC.

The introduction of the LCpl rank has had no bearing on the subordinate ranks as far as I’m aware.

1 Like