Corps Routine Orders - What we want

Given the debate that this months CROs has caused on the PAM 5-C thread, what exactly do we feel as the volunteer staff should be included in them? Pity that the Internal Communication Review has finished collecting feedback…

Key SharePoint announcements should be replicated in CROs as some staff will not visit bader often enough or have the time to sit through the scroll.

[quote=“themajor” post=11642]Key SharePoint announcements should be replicated in CROs as some staff will not visit bader often enough or have the time to sit through the scroll.[/quote]100%.

I can’t see how anything can be important enough that it’s worth changing a publication over, but not important enough to let us know.

Frankly, ANY amendment to an ACP/AP/etc has to be done by a person, somewhere. This person can surely produce a short piece of text explaining what they’ve done, and then someone can edit it into CROs.

Anyone remember the old hard copy ACP/AP amendments we used to have to do… whilst they were a pain at least you knew the bloody things had changed and how!

There were many advantages but I’ll never think that the change of ACP19 from “Atten-Tion” to “Shun” was anything other than a massive pain in the ■■■■!

For the person who updated the book yes. If the OC could be bothered to bring the AL down or wing forward them onto the Sqns.

all that’s missing from the current system is a digital AL in the contents area and correct use of the title’s in sharepoint to show what the last AL was and the date.

To be told the CRO’s are actually out…

My WHQ send them out, as an attachment to all Sqn Accounts. SO I was formally notified today. You could always set up a SharePoint alert…

Also Policy Change (MTP) Coming the day after CROs GMG!!

[quote=“MattB” post=11645][quote=“themajor” post=11642]Key SharePoint announcements should be replicated in CROs as some staff will not visit bader often enough or have the time to sit through the scroll.[/quote]100%.

I can’t see how anything can be important enough that it’s worth changing a publication over, but not important enough to let us know.

Frankly, ANY amendment to an ACP/AP/etc has to be done by a person, somewhere. This person can surely produce a short piece of text explaining what they’ve done, and then someone can edit it into CROs.[/quote]

i cannot agree more, seconded and thirded if i could!

[quote=“themajor” post=11672]You could always set up a SharePoint alert…

[/quote]

I could do, but why should I need to when HQAC could send it out (Or a notice that it’s out) once a month when it’s published.

If people have the option to set up an alert on various folders it leaves for them to decide how much they care. I have received lots of notifications over the last 2 days seemingly caused by someone tidying up poorly named uploads.

That said, key notices (CROs, for example) could be mentioned in the site notifications on sharepoint with the result that they are emailed corps-wide automatically.

I still think just having anything that’s changed in red would help!

But CROs should be a collation of everything and anything that has changed in the past month, is upcoming for future months and should be a way of us finding out anything that will effect how we do our “jobs”

^^^^ agreed!!

I’ve not looked at the PAM 5 thread, but I’ve stopped printing CROs. The October one was a prime example of waste of paper/ink or time reading, effectively half a dozen lines of something new on a side of A4 which only c.1/34 of the Corps is really bothered about and probably knows it already, followed by THIRTEEN pages of repeated nonsense which less than 1% of the Corps is bothered about.

As mentioned the CROs should be about more than a change of command or awards, changes to things etc should be in them. Years ago they used to be wealth of information, but in recent years they seem to have become a chore that because the RAF issues routine orders it seems we have to. I know it’s goes against the grain in many ways but sometimes the old ways were better. There seems to an assumption that everyone is looking on Sharepoint, but this is a wildly erroneous assumption.

Changes indicated in red shouldn’t be too hard, but then this is HQAC.

I’ve got alerts set up but they are bloody pointless when you haven’t got a scooby as what has actualy changed and many changes seem to be purely cosmetic or someone else is “responsible” of that document now, oh and two or three instances of change in the alert email that comes out. Unless you read an old version and compare it to the one in the alert, you can’t tell what has happened and even then it will probably be of little relevance.

While as said the old paper ammendments were a bit of a pain, you did actually get to what things had changed, whereas now, who knows, until they start sending out snotty emails saying you’re not doing it the right way.

ANY documentation has to be relevant, in-date, accurate & easy to source. An e-link that can be forwarded on would be the easiest & quickest option.

In this day & age, there is no excuse for inappropriate, inaccurate or out of date documentation, regardless of the subject. I include “non-notification” as being even worse.

As seems to be the case here, deterioration in the overall standards leads to ineffective communication. This must be detrimental - I suggest that the whole system needs a drastic review overall.

I thought this had already happened? Wasn’t there a team set up to review communication processes?

i did see somewhere (probably hidden in Sharepoint) the frequency repeat orders should be at. lets say there are 20 or repeat orders, a selection of these, lets say 8, are taken for each CRO based on a list indicating how often we (CFAVs) should be reminded
lets say of those 20
3 x once a year
5 x twice a year
5 x three times a year
5 x four times (quaterly)
2 x monthly

and as such it is a copy&paste task for the “author” but as identified without any thought of the content or consideration some of it maybe out of date!

found it
https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/CROs/CRO-Pers.DOC
even lists which month it should be included in the CRO

[quote=“steve679” post=11775]found it
https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/CROs/CRO-Pers.DOC
even lists which month it should be included in the CRO[/quote]
How bloody lazy is that, they are purely space fillers. Is there an expectation that every x months you will read them? I would suggest they are way off target.

[quote=“MikeJenvey” post=11712]An e-link that can be forwarded on would be the easiest & quickest option.

As seems to be the case here, deterioration in the overall standards leads to ineffective communication. This must be detrimental - I suggest that the whole system needs a drastic review overall.[/quote]
Having e-links are well and good, but if it doesn’t grab your attention or have any interest you don’t read it. An e-link would be like a cold call, interest lasts 2/3 seconds as soon a I here “can I speak to Mr/Mrs” or “home owner” the call is ended. How many emails do you get that end up being deleted without even a look at any more than the title?

I can see HQAC loving the idea of a review, more meetings without chance of an outcome that makes sense to any but those at the meetings. As per the list for repeating things, the deterioration is all about complacency and that starts at the top. Signing something off that is not up to the task, is where the problem lies.

Well, compared to the current system, at least an email facility gives the reader the choice - & this can be read from anywhere, rather than remember to grab the appropriate clipboard when on the Sqn. Equally, as long as topics were linked within the email, the transition to the topics would be very quick - much quicker than trying to locate something on Bader!!

I wonder why CRO’s are not just emailed out to all on Bader mail.
This way everyone gets a copy and they can then keep it, bin it, print it and frame it if they want or what ever.
I think MikeJenvey is correct. Link the relevant items and then stop having to search for them on Bader.
I don’t think it’s anything like cold calling. No one wants a phone call while having their dinner or while watching Eastenders. Indeed, we probably don’t want them at all!!
But we all volunteered to do this Air Cadet thing, surely we should be at least slightly in anything that comes our way.

You will find that this route is MOD policy and is MOSS related, reduces the amount of data being fired across the ether. As we are bound by MOD policy, there you go.

The fact the MOD bods don’t follow it just shows it don’t work…