Corporal

Hi I’m wanting to be a corporal and my squadron has sent out forms to apply for a interview to be promoted. But one of the sections on the form says to highlight any personal qualities. To be honest I am struggling on putting anything down any advice (maybe even on how to structure it)

Well, if you want the promotion and think you are more deserving that other cdts at your sqn then think of why do you:_

1. Turn up more regularly than the rest of them
  2. Always turn up in right uniform looking smarter than the rest.
  3. Always find yourself being helpful to staff
  4. Always help new cadets in their first few months to get into being a cadet.
    5 Volunteer to do stuff
  5. Have a ‘Leading Cadet’ badge on your brassard

Thank you I do all of that but i will improve on all as much as possible. I will also get a leading badge soon as I’m just doing the exams

I think when you look at qualities you want to look more at what qualities you have that makes you a good leader/ JNCO. Do some research on what qualities make a good leader and find ones that you fit, preferably come up with an example of where you have shown this quality or skill. You can also research the STAR technique to structure your response.

Looking at the question in that sense will give you a good chance and it’s also a good skill to learn for compantcy job applications and interviews.

so… if I was to ask your mum/dad/best friend to describe you, what would she say? Don’t answer on here but you may be surprised (hopefully in a good way!) from what they say. Pick some of the good stuff and build from there. For example, they may say you’re sociable, loyal, friendly, happy, outgoing, good with people etc etc. Having got this, write a paragraph that encompasses that and then add some things that are more ATC related. Stuff like, I’m good with recruits and enjoy seeing them grow in confidence (if that’s true). Don’t put anything down that is a bare faced lie as the staff will probably know what you’re like already. Leverage your time in the ATC as experience, the desire to help the Squadron move forward and that you have some ideas that you would like to implement and you should have what you need. Make sure you have some ideas on what you would like to do as it will probably come up in the interview (if they do one). Good luck!