Corporal promotion

Hi, I have been with the atc for 16 months now and I wondered if I was ellegible for promotion. I have finished my senior and I am 14. I am at the squadron every night I am not ill. I have offered to skip my break in order to help other cadets before. The last time this occurred was when we were cleaning the sqn to get it ready for an important meeting we were hosting next parade night. I offered to miss my break to further help with one of the class rooms which had really large stains on the floor.
I hadn’t thought about promotion before, but my last parade night the sqn promoted two cadets to corporals and that inspired me. It would be much appreciated if you could share your opinion.

Josh my advice to you would be to carry on the way your going.However remember that promotion isnt everything and some cadets go through their entire time in the corps without being promoted.There are lots of other things to think of as well.Promotion can depend on a number of factors including size of the squadron staff opinions and most importantly your Sqn Commanders opinion of you. From my standpoint I watch what cadets do whilst on the sqn how they conduct themselves both on and off duty and how they interact with others.
I also if I think they are worth progressing send selected cadets on NCO courses as I ve found having staffed the courses myself that it takes cadets out of their comfort zone.I can only base that last comment on my own Wings courses.
I commend your ambition and in conclusion would just say keep going and who knows reward may come your way. Dont however get obsessed with promotion above all enjoy your time as a cadet .

1 Like

I would echo most of what 1993 says. Something to consider is to speak to your staff and explain your ambition. You could ask them what they would expect to see from you and what route they expect/require potential corporals to take (courses, activities, etc).

It sounds like you’re well on the way, so keep doing what you’re doing, don’t push too hard or pressure yourself, and act on any advice and guidance you’re given.

1 Like

The easiest thing to do is work on your uniform, most notably boot polishing. This is especially easy for guys as a perfect done toecap is more noticeable than the whole shoe.

but also recognised as the lazy way out and a “quick win” which doesn’t show commitment or dedication to the cause.

i don’t care what state shoes are in if the rest of the uniform doesn’t match in quality…no point having mirror shoes if the creases in shirts and trousers are blunt and fluff is found on a beret/jumper

Conversely, shining the entire shoe is more noticeable than having just a bulled toecap. It’s also the right thing to do.