Corporal advice

I recently got promoted to Corparol just after a year in cadets ; mutiple other individuals were promoted ; including me, six. I’m so excited to share my knowledge with the growing sqaudron and help as much as possible, but here’s my question, after my probation period (3 months), how do I distinguish myself from the other newly promoted? In your experience, what’s helped you get to a higher rank?

It’s quite simple - be effective, be a role model, be approachable to and help cadets and be helpful to staff and SNCOs… And don’t act the muppet or tyrant.

Essentially, do your job. You don’t have to try to be special or stand out from the rest - not at this stage, at least. Trying too hard could cause you to make mistakes.

You say “probation”, not trial or acting period? I would take that to mean it won’t be taken away unless you mess up hard (muppetry or tyranny), but I could be wrong. Relax, don’t put undue pressure on yourself, ask what is expected of you by SNCOs and staff, listen to instructions and advice and follow through on it.

Congratulations, by the way. You’ve achieved promotion for a reason based off of who you already are, so make sure you keep up with that and I’m sure you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Thank you!

You should make sure you focus on your own cadet career- make the most of all the opportunities as this will enable you to progress through the ranks should you so wish.
Going on camps and courses will develop you beyond the bounds of your Squadron roles and ultimately help you become a highly effective NCO, one who is respected (because you’ve done things and have wider experience) as well as being that all important role model to show the younger cadets what they can do too if they put in the effort.
Congratulations by the way!

3 Likes

Congratulations on the new rank. Don’t be in a hurry to climb to the next one. Do an NCO course, be reliable and gain respect from the cadets under you and give respect to those above you. Go on camps, be involved and make a positive difference to the way the Squadron is run.

Sgt slides will follow all by itself.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice, it’s greatly appreciated and most definitely helpful

Amazing advice, thank you so much!

You’re very welcome :slight_smile: