Considering transferring squadrons

Hi there,
I’m new here so I’m sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong place, please bear with me!
I have a problem and am in need of some advice. I’m a senior cdt and have been a member of my sqn for just over a year and a half. I’m dedicated and really enjoy being in the ATC - after all I’ve experienced things that I never would’ve had the chance to experience outside of cadets. However, lately my squadron has been (and still is) going completely downhill. I won’t go into details, but there are massive problems which a few cadets (myself included) have been dragged into when we definitely shouldn’t have been. These aren’t minor petty problems, they’re big problems which cadets should never have been told about. It’s causing a massive rift between cadets as well as members of staff, and myself and a few other cadets have been completely unnecessarily dragged into the mess. It’s causing myself, other cadets and staff members undue stress and it really shouldn’t be this way. It’s gotten to the point where myself and 3 other cadets who have also been dragged into it are beginning to consider the option of transferring to another sqn. However, the distance from where I live to this sqn is about 3 times the distance from where I live to my current sqn. It is our next closest sqn and it also happens to be in a different wing. We really do not want to have to do this although at this point I feel like there is a chance that this may be for the best. The sqn used to be a place for having fun and being able to de-stress, although right now I can’t help but feel that it is the complete opposite.

Have you considered having a chat with the OC? Are they even aware of it?

1 Like

Yes, the OC is definitely aware of the problem due to the scale of it and also knows that we are considering transferring as we mentioned it when we were pulled into the office for a chat because of the problem.

If they’re aware of it then surely they will be doing something about it? If not then maybe you should be going up the chain to make sure it is sorted. How far is the other squadron and how long would it take you to get there? If you realistically wouldn’t be able to attend then there’s not much point transferring imo.

if you’re not happy, chin it off - personally i wouldn’t bother having a chat with the OC, if the situation has developed to even half the extent you suggest then the OC has lost control of the staff or lost his wits - and you chatting with him about the situation isn’t going to change that.

have a mooch around the Sqns you can get to - don’t be imprisoned by X being the closest - find one who’s vibe you like and ask the OC to sort out your transfer.

you needn’t worry about splashback - your CO knows there’s a problem and hasn’t fixed it, he’s had his chance.

1 Like

Likely ther OCs will know of the problems, what are the WSOs doing about it?

We’re also struggling with the same situation at our squadron and nothing has been done. We’ve asked for help from in the wing and nothing has been done. If anyone has any advise please let me know .

There’s little point in moving unless you are able to commit to the squadron in all ways, not just parade nights, and this will require the assistance of your parents or a detailed understanding of the bus/train timetables or a very cosy relationship with a taxi firm. Biking may be an option but after a day at school, it might not be so appealing and even less so if the weather’s poor.
While it is your hobby and you want to get the most out of it, analyse all of facets before making a move.

The nub of this is an undisclosed situation and of course the finger is pointed at the CO, after all they are above all of this and as they in the eyes of the people on the squadron and overall organisation don’t have jobs or lives outside the ATC, they should be just concentrating on all things ATC. Believe me when your real life creates disquiet as a CO the ATC falls down the priority list PDQ, which is how it should be, as the ATC doesn’t pay the CO to deal with storm in a tea cup nonsense like I imagine this is.
I can imagine that when school especially exams become your priority the ATC and similarly if your family (God forbid) experiences problems and if things are going on at the squadron, they won’t be high up the list.
Also shock, horror squadron experiences massive ATC bubble problems (are they in the grand scheme massive?), show me a squadron that doesn’t experience problems and it’s one that doesn’t exist.

If you change squadrons the 18 months experience and being a senior cadet (never really sure what this means) will count for very little as you will have to re-establish yourself. No CO will just accept you as the next best thing and will want to see how perform and fit in.

@bob WSOs will do or be doing very little. I watched a local squadron almost self destruct when the OC had a succession of personal problems and the WSOs were quite willing to let the squadron become almost feral, as they had day jobs that took them away from home a lot and one of them was also having family problems.

1 Like

Silver - what rank are you?

Our Sqn is presently going through “a bit of a patch” but the senior cadets are getting on with it, working out what they think will work and then presenting the staff with solutions - after all, it’s the cadets that make the Sqn and I’ve often said that most of the staff are only there to stop cadets killing themselves.

I’m firmly of the opinion that success is born out of adversity so being part of the solution rather than running away might make many of you much better cadets.

1 Like

Not just cadets but people in the future.

1 Like