Compulsory Training

My point is that if H&S Training is that important then it needs a proper e-learning process, which includes knowledge checks and a confirming certificate. Just downloading PowerPoints is not confirmed learning. This then displays to me that it is just a box ticking exercise, rather than an attempt to provide learning.

My problem with the H&S system is that if I don’t do something around risk assessments, not being on the correct form or some other bureaucratic reason, I get told I am failing and don’t get a Gold star. But stuff that needs contractors and RFCA assistance (Asbestos Assessment) can be left for years!
If it was that important there would’ve the same level of commitment. There isn’t!!

2 Likes

I’ve done COSHH at work as part of a full day’s H&S training which included an hour and half on RAs (God knows why we do a day) and given to an idiot everything would end up being locked in an external cupboard.

I was told during an inspection I can’t have window cleaning sprays, general surface cleaners, toilet cleaners, washing up liquid etc in the kitchen cupboard as they contain chemicals and the cadets might do themselves harm. I asked about the white granular powder and brown liquid in the cupboards as they contain chemicals and the liquid was an acid. I did explain one was salt and one was vinegar. I then asked about the stuff that comes out of the tap, milk, tea, coffee, sugar, bottles of squash, tins of fizzy drink and confections all of which also contain chemicals and with which the cadets could harm themselves, at which point they worked out I was extracting a urea based liquid.
I said if cadets have survived in houses where these cleaners are all the time and not managed to drink them or rub them on their skin, then I am pretty certain they can manage at the squadron for a couple of hours a week, where mostly they won’t touch them. They are still in the kitchen at the squadron.

5 Likes