Communicators Badge requirements

hi all,

I am working towards earning my communicators badge.

Does anyone know how many and what modules you need to do to earn the badge?

At the moment, the only modules i have done are: provisional radio, advanced VHF and the ACF Signalers badge

What else do i need to do?

Thanks
Woodhouse

As far as I understand it, there are 6 modules of which two are compulsory. I’m not sure what they are though.

ACP 44 states that the two compulsory modules are Basic Communications (you did this as part of your First Class Cadet training) and the Full VHF/UHF Operator Course.

You then have to do another 4 modules out of:

HF Operator
HF Listener
Data Communications (edit: not to be confused with Data Networking)
Internet (the workbook is in ACP44)
ACP35 Vol 3 – Advanced Radio and Radar (you can do this on Ultilearn)
ACP35 Vol 4 – Satellite Communications (edit: will be replaced by Data Networking on Ultilearn…)
Technical Skills
Amateur Foundation Licence or ACO Equivalent
Army Cadet Signallers Badge (equivalent to 2 modules)

WH2152 - I don’t know what your ‘Advanced VHF’ is, but if you’ve already got the ACF Signallers Badge, you’re halfway there!

ok this is a great help.

So am i right that there is 6 modules.

The modules i have done are: basic comms, full VHF operators, ACF Signalers (2modules) and advanced Sat Comms. This makes out I have done 5 modules?

This means I must do one more module and i qualify for the Badge?

The theory is yes, but I would question what you’re calling “advanced sat comms” and how you sat it?

For the Advanced Satellite Comms, the exam wasnt on Ultilearn so we had to take a paper exam

So I would guess what you’ve sat is the old sat comms paper, which is now defunct. Not sure how you’re going to get around that!

it would depend on when the paper was taken but given your askign how to get promotion to Cpl will make the assumption you’re not old enough to have sat the Paper exams when they were still valid

I sat the paper exam last thursday so it wasnt that long ago. Even though im leading cadet and the exam was senior/master, the f/sgt said it would be fine for me to sit the exam so happy days :slight_smile:

Paper exams are still valid, we’ve still got cadets sitting them!

Unlike Ultilearn, which we have cadets notably not sitting as it doesn’t actually work.

For the purposes of the Communicator Badge, paper exams are perfectly valid no matter what classification the cadet is. It is up to Wing Training Officers if they allow the exam passes to also count towards classification / BTEC progression.

Apparently, Ultilearn exams will always count towards classification progression even if taken ‘out of sequence’.

I suspect that if your classification exams are Ultilearn, any paper exams will not count towards classification / BTEC progression (Advanced Radio & Radar is available in both formats so it’s only Satellite Communications that’s paper only).

yes thats right because the Advanced Radio and Radar WAS on ultilearn but the Advanced Satellite Comms WASNT.

Thats why I had to Advanced Satellite Comms on the paper exam.

So I have done 5 modules and only 1 more to do!

Thanks for your help Hendon Chipmunk

Get the Internet module and do that. Should take an hour or two tops.

Good luck on finishing the syllabus. Just make sure that all the evidence is recorded on the progress sheet and get your staff to put copies of everything with it when they send it off.

Its good to hear that we will have another cadet with a comms badge.

Could I request that the cadet makes sure that they are well practiced in voice procedure?

hi, thanks.

I made sure the f/sgt who was teaching filled out all the forms and evidence so happy days