Comms badge

Would anyone be able to get a comms badge to me ASAP!?

A cadet from the Sqn I work with has lost his brassard. He has all the badges he needs and we don’t have any comms badges on Sqn and won’t be able to get one through wing for another few weeks. He is going away on camp on Monday, so needs it by the end of this week.

Can anyone help!?

I can’t provide you with a badge but I can provide reassurance.

He doesn’t need a badge to prove he is good with radios. He won’t get in trouble for not having a badge which isn’t one of the mandatory badges, (e.g. Sqn No. Shoulder Title and classification).

Good luck with your hunt, (they are rare as hen’s teeth those things), but don’t let him fret too much.

Apologies if I’m stating the obvious but have you tried your Wing or Rgn Comms Officer?

I trust you would be able to prove this cadet has qualified correctly for the badge, there is a reason why these badges are like unicorn poo…

I have a spare comms badge laying around. If you PM me, I’m sure we could get something sorted!

If all fails cadet direct

last that I hear, the Wg radio officer post was vacant. It’s preferable, not essential, that he has the badge for the camp, but it’s just that he would obviously want the badge some time in the future. After all, he earnt it!

Cpl Connor, Ive pm’d you!

I didn’t know they sold them… Got a link?

You may all be interested (or horrified) to hear that the first stage of the new, multi-colour staged communicator badge scheme (blue, bronze, silver, gold, “double-gold!”) is being delivered at national camps and blue badges are being issued to cadets there.

The blue badge looks pretty much like the old comms badge but ever so slightly smaller.

[quote=“incubus” post=26062]You may all be interested (or horrified) to hear that the first stage of the new, 4-colour communicator badge scheme is being delivered at national camps and blue badges are being issued to cadets there.

The blue badge looks pretty much like the old comms badge but ever so slightly smaller.[/quote]

Did everyone on the Drill Camp get one? Looked that way on the final parade pictures

Most of them. There was a mass wonder-web session on Thursday.

Basic comms was one of the afternoon modules that was run. It was very, very basic comms.

i believe this was also the same course that ran at RIAT.

~60 Cadets recieving the “entry level” blue badge.
the equivalent to provisional operator with a bit more…what was once a certificate (oh so rarely issued) is now a “entry level” badge

Having earned the Comms badge on the old syllabus, will I receive the “gold” comms badge or would need to re-qualify? I do find it kinda frustrating that all these Cadets got the Comms badge for doing only a radio check… I had to spend over 20 hours for just one module…

If you already hold the comms badge you will be asked to swap it for a silver badge in due course. Full VHF ops will get the bronze badge.

MB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i do symopathise but on the flip side is not frustrating in the first place to need to put that much effort in for the badge?

i do symopathise but on the flip side is not frustrating in the first place to need to put that much effort in for the badge?[/quote]

The new syllabus is outlined in the below thread. (At the moment we have two threads discussing the same topic.)

It’s because the old syllabus was so hard to complete (Particularly seeing as two of the modules are old staff cadet subjects we no longer teach or examine,) that I think this modular based system is more beneficial.

http://aircadetcentral.net/acc/radio/1830-new-comms-syllabus

Personally I can’t see the problem. The classification badges are done in all manner of ways now compared to a few years ago; do it them at home ‘open book’; at the squadron ‘open book’ or at the squadron under proper exam conditions and then if you fail (naughty word in modern education) only answer the parts you failed on, and these exams supposedly lead to a formal qualification!! That in itself says it all about standards in modern education.

So whether or not cadets have got a comms badge by doing umpteen weeks/months study and practice or been somewhere for a few days and got a badge, is in the modern Corps is hardly surprising. I imagine we’ll have a Radio/Comms Camp where you go away for a week and come back with more badges than a scout with kleptomania. If you have done it the ‘hard way’ be assured that your knowledge and understanding will be more deeply ingrained than someone who thinks they have got the same after a few days.

Not really. It made the badge worth more bit dd after all +1 your classification. I was a MAC already when attending the course. It’s like Nijmegen. The badge looks terrible in my honest opinion. It took 8 months of training and a considerable amount of pain for that badge. Now imagine if they started handing out the Nijmegen badge for walking only half of the march…

I’ve merged threads - keep this one for discussing the new syllabus please.

I’ve merged threads - keep this one for discussing getting a com badge to hobrocket please.