Commonwealth War Grave Commission

I’ve had several contacts with the CWGC relating to military / family history, so I’m really looking forward to this.

Don’t agree with the Cmdt about RAF recruitment though!

2 Likes

A great DofE opportunity :+1:

1 Like

I think it’s a great initiative, but I’m not sure why it’s been linked to the 80th anniversary?

Does it mean that it’s for one year only?

Qué?

And characters

Neither do the AFCOs… we are now back as a recruitment org. This is according to their regional director up here.

:shushing_face: this isn’t really news.

the CWGC set out plans for this mid-late 2019 to better engaged with the “youth of today” and were set to contact schools and get them on board in the hope there might be a “sponsorship” of a grave by a student who might do a bit of research on who they were by using the online search etc

they were due to “go public” early 2020 of course the pandemic shut this down. With my RBL hat on, the Branch was contacted by a local CWGC contact who approached the Branch asking what our local youth links were so we could work together…

a good news story, but this is not unique to the RAFAC - this is a much wider plan of the CWCG

What a lovely idea. I think this is something that all school children should be encouraged to do. I know personally a future project is going through a couple of relatives’ war diaries and letters once I’m reunited.

I look forward to more information being shared officially about it in due course.

Or, if it trickles down slowly on here!

2 Likes

It may well pull up the opportunity to get CWGC records / gravestones changed to reflect information that was not previously available.

I’ve “mini-researched” several CWGC graves that were adjacent to those of family members, primarily those with limited details in the data-records, or on the headstone (initials only, no date of birth, no next of kin, etc). For one, I managed to track down the grand-daughter of a WW1 casualty, & provide sufficient information for her to get her grandfather’s records amended (& new headstone for his full name - previously initials / surname only.).

Initially, CWGC put up some barriers for some of them as they said that I was not next of kin. I pointed out that even for many WW2 casualties, there could very well be no next of kin surviving, & as such, who could therefore send in such information? Their Commemorations Policy Manager subsequently agreed that as long as the information was verifiable (birth / death certificates, etc - I’ve bought several for this purpose, I think that casualties deserve accurate recording against their ultimate sacrifice), they would so make the amendments, & have done this for several that I have raised. This includes placing a new headstone if relevant.

I’ve also messaged the Director General for HM’s Passport Office - CWGC do not have any dispensation to order free certificates - I’ve suggested that this should be permitted. Bounced to the General Record Office for action, so still waiting for a response.

Those sqns near to Brookwood Military Cemetery will have numerous RAF casualties to chase - the cemetery there is the biggest in the UK, with a separate RAF section (amongst numerous others). Well worth a visit when Covid19 permits.

Very large number of CWGC graves at Cambridge too, with of course lots of RAF casualties.

2 Likes

On the face of it this looks a nice idea, it won’t be easy, it may not bear the fruit perceived and unless HQAC or CWG are going to offer a free year’s subscriptions to genealogy sites, good luck. If they are then I’ll have some of that. To do it justice it will be time consuming and need a lot of research using different sources. Will cadets be able to apply themselves sufficiently for a long period and hitting brick walls, without staff ‘kicking’ them? You won’t do this in a couple of parade nights or just on parade nights.

The CWG are looking IMO to get kids involved and making this link to the RAF is an interesting ploy, but the vague link to the Air Training Corps’ 80th is stretching it too far.

I think the idea of putting together some sort of life story for someone you don’t know, is amusing. It’s hard enough doing this for family members, where you may have family anecdotes and can fill gaps. These were ordinary people and as such like the majority of us, have little visibility outside of families and only then if you tell people or write it down.

@MikeJenvey Why would the CWG get free certificates?

They are a charity, & in many cases, the only way to confirm “full” identity / next of kin for their records is to obtain birth / death certificate. It’s £11 per certificate; GRO is a public facility, so all services are chargeable.

Charity versus public facility is the issue. The occasional request from CWGC to validate a casualty (for free) should be very easy to set up - in many cases, GRO couldn’t claim loss of revenue, as many casualties have no next of kin or interested parties to follow up any missing information. It’s people like me that generate revenue to GRO, I don’t mind as I can afford it, but others can’t - & most importantly, CWGC cannot afford to place such orders.

For example, for the Cambridge CWGC graves, there is one that refers to an “A LUCAS.” - it says he was 29. From the GRO Death index, it is almost certainly “Albert” Lucas, died aged 28, death registered in Newmarket. So, 2 points that could be corrected if CWGC had the death certificate - & the gravestone would be changed to reflect his full name / accurate age. I could look at the GRO birth index, it suggests that most likely he was born in 1917, registered in Cambridge. Not essential to CWGC, but it supports the next of kin information, he married in 1939.

Maybe another certificate for me to buy. :wink:

As to the link to the ATC, definitely good value, especially perhaps for those remote / inner city sqns that may not have such easy access to RAF facilities. As a planning / historic / research / team coordination / presentation exercise, I think it could be excellent.

We had an excellent presentation from one of the CWGC’s Public Engagement Coordinators last year and I would definitely recommend to get Cadets interested.

One area that I have found easier to research than others is RAF Aircrew casualties. If you know the service number and surname there is usually information to be found.

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/wardead/ is a good starting point.

On a separate note I am signed up with their Eyes On Hands On project with a view to getting the Cadets involved in this too since our Squadron HQ is directly opposite a Cemetery with a few dozen war graves in there.

I’ve been paying for certificates to confirm details of family members, which has cost me a fair bit over the years, so if the CWG or others get them for nothing I want a refund as what they are doing is no different to me and others doing family trees … filling in gaps.

The level of information has a cost some financial in terms of subscriptions, but more so time and the frustration, which all adds to the sense of achievement when you fill a gap. When ‘we’ did the local markers. The only one we could find anything on was rife with spelling errors on the CWG site, they were born c.40 miles away and married and moved into the area after the 1911 Census, so the research was a lot more involved. We only found this out with me using my genealogy subscription and then it wasn’t a quick thing to do. It’s the gaps like this that the CWG won’t provide any information on and if the idea is create a story, it’s the information you need. Whether that’s going back, forward or both.

Definitely not, the use of such certificates would be to provide full / accurate information for those who lost their lives for the country. Vastly different to genealogy (which I also do a lot).

1 Like

Very good idea - we are also exceptionally close - 1000+ CWGC graves.

Yes, great idea, but first we have to get idea through diehard staff who thinks it’s a waste of time and the cadets won’t want to do it. :man_shrugging:t2::roll_eyes::man_facepalming:t2:

I’ve signed up as well, looking forward to what I can do in my area.

Sounds like a great DofE Project - Research & Maintenance.

2 Likes

Totally agree with research but maintenance will depend on CWGC permission and good ol’ H&S

@MikeJenvey So when you get a BMD cert through is that not providing full and accurate info for your family tree, which adds to your family story?

@Brooke_Bond I assume you are referring to me. I haven’t said it’s a waste of time what I have said is I don’t think people actually appreciate it’s not as easy or will give as much information as they think. Anyone who has dabbled in genealogy will testify to this. It’s nothing like it is on the tele.

Do a few random searches on the CWG site for people, see what information is there and try to build a story to make something worthy and no using paid for genealogy sites.

Of course it does, but that is for my (informal) hobby requirements; I expect to pay. My point is that CWGC (a charity) should not have to pay for the information in order to update casualty records. If a formal process was agreed, the GRO wouldn’t even have to send a certificate, just the basic data - the fact that GRO was providing “primary” information should be acceptable as source information.

What additional information does the CWG need it knows where, when, how and why they died and they have a DoB. and service number There is some family info potentially given at the time. Unless they are seeking to become a full on genealogy site, I can’t see the CWGC’s need for additional info.
The information that would be useful is for those that didn’t die. Their stories are far more interesting and ironically many families don’t know about their forebears that survived.
Whenever I’ve found out a member of the family has been in the armed forces, I’ve never been caught up in the ‘romanticism’ of it.