Commandant's Coin - A new award?

Commandant’s Coin

I’ve not seen this before! Looks pretty neat, and certainly better than just getting a Commandants Commendation cirtificate!

1 Like

Eh - what’s this about? Can we spend it??

1 Like

Cool idea, is it actually awarded by the commandant though?

2 Likes

Coins are a nice gizzit but a cop out compared to actually awarding state honours

I mean, I assume this is a sanctioned thing? And not just someone making it up.

If it’s the latter, I wouldn’t have thought it would be uploaded so prominently to Facebook!

Plus I also know OC 56 has his own Challenge Coins made up, so if he wanted to give something out locally he could.

Challenge coins are for things way under the threshold of a state honour…

In this case, a cadet representing the RAFAC at City Hall for Armed Forces Day. Very worthy of senior recognition, but not exactly state honour level.

5 Likes

I don’t think you’d get a state award for what the cadet did, so it’s not comparable

1 Like

It’s just a challenge coin, a nice thing to receive usually from a senior Officer, often swapped with others on visits/exercises/operations.

1 Like

Nice to have. No official standing, ie not ‘honours’, but a nice way of saying “good job, thanks”.

When I was OC 78 (Wembley) many moons ago, a member of staff was a Sgt Service Helper who worked at HQ MOD and got the unit involved in a Christmas charity activity to help homeless veterans coming up to Christmas, we raised a significant amount of help and it got to the notice of the Chief of the Air Staff ACM Sir Glenn Torpy. Sir Glenn sent a team from his outer office to come down to the unit one evening to give a brief on their role, and they brought a load of ‘gizzits’ including CAS Challenge Coins. I still have mine as a fairly prized souvenir of my cadet service !

However, in my opinion, RAFAC coins shouldn’t have any public funds sent on procuring them.

2 Likes