Commandant signed on for 5 more

On various sqns I served on, we had a “go fly” list that was readily available for a quick call by the Ops cpl or duty crew to see if the “I want to fly please” person(s) in a section were available for a local flight on the day. On a routine tanker trip once, had a techie onboard, never flown from the stn before, we got diverted in-flt to go play with QRA + a few Russian Tu-95s. :slight_smile:

For cadet options, either use the stn “intranet” to advise the ACLO, or, if short notice, a quick 'phone call or email to the local ACO point of contact. With modern tech - “standard email” for example - it would not be an onerous workload or difficult to coordinate. Simples.

Even going back to the 1970’s, we had an arrangement with a Thorney Island Andover sqn that they would call us on the Isle of Wight, & we would get across for flights if we could.

I am not asking them to run anything.
there are flights with empty seats taking off daily at best, weekly at worst.

all i am suggesting one of those flights is identified as suitabel for the Cadets and advertised to the ACLO/ACO contact as a ACO AEF opportunity

A single seat on one aircraft for an hour is hardly an effective use of volunteers time (playing supervisor to the cdt) nor is it a proportionate opportunity around the UK.

we had something similar on all the gun batteries i’ve worked on - a list of people who’d love to come and watch a Bty, or if they’re lucky a full Regiment, let fly with the Good News of Our Lord.

we used to have cadet units come along all the time, though it tended to be the same units who would have the imagination to use the magic horn and actually contact us. one ATC sqn spent a whole weekend with us, bivvied on the training area, all the cadets got to fire the 105’s (i rather enjoyed putting a 105mm firing practice in their 3822’s…) and help clean them after firing and they also did the fire plan, loading, plotting, and a couple went up to the OP’s to do the FST.

quite why HQAC haven’t thought of asking is a mystery. well, for a nano-second its a mystery…

Could we have someone at Region or Wing (HQAC is too detached from the coal face) whose role is solely to act as a liaison with ACLOs and their equivalent, if they exist, in the Army or Navy, depending what the military bias is locally.

[quote=“Plt_Off_Prune, post:37, topic:1880, full:true”]

You’re delusional. No matter how well it’s written, the MOD is not in any financial position to stump that level of £M up.[/quote]
If you don’t ask you don’t get?

I can’t believe anyone in the RAF higher echelons who may getting updated on the glider fiasco and wonders wtf are they doing. The money for this is coming from somewhere and being wasted. For all the good the spend is doing you may as well put a match to it.
I would be shocked if at every ACMB and or senior management gathering, OC 2FTS isn’t invited, grilled on the situation and leaves feeling extremely sheepish.

The more time that is wasted in securing cadet flying as a viable activity, the loss in numbers and morale will only go one way.

I’m not suggesting that the expenditure would be in a single year, but if, as we keep getting told, the RAF value the ACO and CAC has the ear of the CAS, it has to be regarded as reasonable request.

although I see the point…18 months without gliding is even more of an ineffective use of resource…

2 Likes

Given that AEF/AEG used to cost me 9-10 hours a year on a Sunday, I’ve made use of that time nicely thanks. Trying to squeeze in a mid day solo slot - no thanks

which underlines the point, either the ACO sorts out some regular, mass flying in relatively short order, or it puts the significant resources used by the (non) flying arms of the ACO/RAF into something that does provide activity.

like you, i’ve taken cadets to a flying location and spent the day writing up work, it makes no difference to me whether i’m doing it at home or in a crew room at RAF Lastusedinthe50’s - however i’m not going to watch a weekend day disolve by taking one or two kids to a stn two hours away, getting to work for a hour or so, then driving them back and finding its 4pm and i’ve barely got started.

Well I wouldn’t expect anything then, as it has eluded the combined wit/wisdom of the HQAC grandees thus far and only isolated incidents of flying/gliding organised by squadrons.

But what makes these uniquely distinctive enough to retain the Air title and put up with all the BS and bluster (ref drill / dress regs / disicip) that go with the affiliation to the RAF?
Kids could stay with / join the Scouts to carry on doing all the AT activities and shooting (our scout district has an air rifle range) or if they want to ‘play soldiers’ they can join the ACF.

“Join the Air Cadets and do Army or Scout stuff” wouldn’t make a very good advertising strapline.

One of the only things we have going for us is how cheap we can do things, but in the absence of anything air related is quite hollow.

As an ACF AI, I would chew through the restraints until my teeth were bloody stumps to live fire a 105. Any chance you could do this again for some cadets from Surrey?

sorry, i’ve been out 6 years now…

4 Regt RA at Thirsk were always a very active Regiment - i know its a long way (from recall they do most of their firing at Otterburn…) but if you did a week up there you could do 105’s with 4, ISTAR with 5 at Marne Bks, and all the AT and history/culture you wanted with the dales, coast and York/Durham…

for a more day-trip type thing, 14 Regiment at Larkhill does the training for SRA, they’ve got all the kit from all the Regiments. give them a ring.