Commandant’s Advisory Panel

I think it should include some of the “younger” members and not just the 17+ though. Your naturally at a different place wanting different things and I know your not that far away from when you were younger but I think with moving into 6th form/college you do perhaps try and be adult and forget about it.

Asking the 15 year olds (especially ones who joined at 12) could be really beneficial, who are in the prime theoretically of their cadet career

1 Like

To be representative, the panel ought to have cadets from every cohort (junior cadets, 1st class, leading, etc.) but it sounds like it will mostly be master air cadets and SNCOs.

Never part of it myself, but it seems to be another forum for the “elite” cadets that devote themselves to the corps to be heard. Yknow the IACE/JL/QAIC sort with every badge under the sun plus a scholarship and a few skiing trips. That’s great and all but you’re only going to get one real point of view across, and HQAC will like it.
I’m minded to think that out of the applications received, HQ should just play sortition and select a random 10 every time they want to consult the cadets, no further questions asked. I think that might end up giving a slightly more broad minded view than just hearing from the success stories.

1 Like

It was rejected as combined with other requests made at the same time - Commandant Advisory Panel - 2022/23 - a Freedom of Information request to Air Cadet Organisation - WhatDoTheyKnow

I’ve never asked an FOI of RAFAC, but I have of elsewhere.

The trick is always to ask for the smallest piece of info with the narrowest scope first. Then, once that ask is successful, build upon it using the initial compliance of a demonstration that the info exists, is accessible, and can be reached within the cost requirements.

2 Likes

I have looked and can’t find the annoucement on Sharepoint. Has the closing date already passed?

Comms were not great on this and no link to the application form

1 Like

By the looks of it, it appeared in Cadet Portal only with a link to MS Forms.
I had to ask my cadets about it

1 Like

^ you can see the announcement from the announcements section of SMS.

Edit: this like might work if you’re already signed in:
https://sms.bader.mod.uk/units/common/announcements/detail.aspx?Id=282c47b4-f6ba-46fc-8b4d-9046bb50fc6a

1 Like

Applications will be open until Friday the 18th of March 2024

They’re looking for cadets 17+

I think they are looking for a metaphorical rather than a literal answer for this question, Chief: wheels provide mobility, whereas doors can shut out people or prevent them from progressing further. So they might be asking if the majority of cadets are being prevented from reaching their full potential by being blocked rather than mobilised.

I flew back from a ski holiday in Oslo yesterday on a Boeing 737-800 - 9 doors* and 10 wheels in normal use. So more wheels than doors, until one counts an extra four over wing emergency exits and around thirty overhead baggage lockers, in which case the doors win by a fair margin.
I didn’t notice any meal trolleys in the galleys so a potential 7-10 more doors can’t be counted.

We’re gonna need a legal definition of ‘door’ in order to confirm the status of the luggage lockers, trolleys and emergency exits: if it is a hinged flat object made to close up an opening used by humans to enter or exit an enclosed space, or to secure objects within, then that might logically work to answer the question.

I’m not including the undercarriage doors, which are not ‘normally’ used by humans, unless one is an asylum seeker. :thinking:

*2 front and 2 rear cabin, cockpit, 2 x toilet, front and rear cargo holds.

There’s a fair few bearings on an aircraft, they’re just wheels right? :wink:

Think about the draws in the galley, they’ll all run on little wheels! Also, I bet there were many many suitcases with wheels on them for rolling along the floor. Each case probably had 4 or more wheels! :smiley:

(This really needs it’s own thread!)

1 Like

Bearings are spherical and enclosed within their mechanism. One could call a football or an orange or a planet a wheel if the only definition was to be round in cross-section. Wheels can be spherical, such as those used by Ballbarrows, ATVs and lunar rovers, but are usually flat-sided and externally mounted, coming into contact with the ground in order to provide mobility to the vehicle. Wheels also rotate around an axle, even if that axle contains a bearing unit.

All the pairs of little wheels mounted on the small suitcases of those airline passengers who are incapable of carrying 5-10kgs of cabin baggage in their hands and have to drag it behind them, aren’t a component of the aircraft. Otherwise a cargo plane with a load consisting of wheels, or doors for that matter, would win the argument in favour of one or the other.

A Grob Tutor has three wheels and no doors; other light aircraft might have only two doors, so we in the aeronautical business have to go on a case by case basis. The aircraft’s engine is accessed by panels, the difference being that the enclosed space contained within is not used for storage or habitation, therefore not a door. :thinking:

You know what: this isn’t just a new discussion thread; it’s becoming part of an Ultilearn classification subject! :nerd_face:

Wonderful, but the most relevant round thing is the figurative table that the Commandant’s Advisory Panel will gather round after CRAFAC opens the metaphorical door to them to give their views and feedback.

2 Likes

I’m completely in the dark about what the original topic is about, and it’s probably of no concern of mine anyway. I don’t even know what the context of the ‘wheels versus doors’ question is all about, either. :roll_eyes:

There should be a cross section of ages, classifications and ranks on the panel. This is because the cadets of different ages will have different need from the RAFAC. The older cadets who have done almost everything will be looking to the big ticket Gold level events where the 13 year old Junior cadet will want access to the blue PTS and going on their first camp.

Also, demographic with these panels are self fulfilling with the brightest and the best applying while the bog standard cadet from a poorer demographic with middling prospects for advancement are passed by. The cadets are community of different abilities and ages, you do not get a true reflection of the corps by having the A* CWOs and Cdt FS on the panel.

4 Likes

They should pick people at random from SMS jury duty style.

5 Likes