Comdt RAFAC leaving & replacement

Do you mean Ian?

Alex was a Scottish footballer or perhaps you were thinking of Alec the England Cricket Captain.

I was thinking of the Cricketer :rofl:

2 Likes

Sometimes you have to play the cards you are dealt. You can stand up to 22Gp/RAF etc, but only so far.

Agreed. And a good follower understands this in their leader.

Sometimes I think we teach too much leadership, and not enough followership to our cadets.

6 Likes

Whilst instructing at Cranditz, this was a very important point to make.

There were some students who were cracking leaders but initially, dire team members. They would get formal directions to improve in the same way for weak leaders.

I would remind them - over 10 leadership exercises, as we have 10 students in each flight, you will be assessed as a leader once, but as a team member, 8 times (the leader of one exercise would normally be the non-participating observer in the subsequent exercise - chance to go through in-depth feedback if needed, etc). They had to think about the balance.

3 Likes

There seem to be a number of things coming together at the same time; the speculation of the future of the current Comdt, the reduction of national cadet activity to enable the centre to review the organisation and deliverables of the RAFAC, the generation of a number of options for the cadet and volunteer offering of the future based on a projected reduction in RAF funding (probably in the range 10%-25%?) and a possible refocus for the RAFAC to be a more overt recruiting tool for the RAF (probably started with the rebranding to RAFAC). That combination is a massive piece of work and TK seems to have created the HR capacity to do it. While we can all speculate on the possible outcomes, if I was running such an exercise, I would not be releasing detail piecemeal, especially as there will be internal RAF deadlines to be kept and review processes to be completed. That being said, lessons on the way not to manage the volunteer cadre should be drawn from the gliding ā€œpauseā€ as the outcomes of the ongoing work can only be delivered if there is robust set of volunteers to do so.

2 Likes
  1. I pray he is going.
  2. 4th time lucky i guess with a Comdt thenā€¦
  3. He needs to confirm soonā€¦ how else will we know when to put the bubbly on ice. :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:
2 Likes

Be careful what you wish for, I stated up thread a lot of 1* posts have been created in the recent past, so they have gone to those considered promotable, then what are you left with?

Donā€™t forget the implications/implementation of the CACE process, reduction in VA and T&S to those taking part in activities, could see a reduction over time in CFAVs to deliver the outputs!

Will HTD be hit as well!!

I canā€™t tell whether to be pleased because it means some of the backward thinking, lunacy and policy decisions might be overturned by someone new, or angry that heā€™s basically dropped a grenade and run away before seeing the explosion, leaving it to someone else to clean up.

6 Likes

The thing is though, he may be overall in charge, but I assume his SLT also agree with these changes, and supported their development? And those people arenā€™t changing post when the Comdt changes. I donā€™t think these sweeping policy changes are the work of one person, albeit he certainly would hold some form of veto over them.

Sounds just a politician.

Those members of the SLT need him to sign off their annual OCRs

1 Like

For FTRS - bovvered? :wink:

I cannot say I have noticed this - and the rebranding of RAFAC was to bring all of the arms of the RAF together under one branding scheme which in my mind makes sense. does that mean weā€™ve suddenly become part of the recruitment tool? No more so that RAFAā€™s branding change in my opinion

this is a very valid point - even the President of the USA, self appointed the most powerful position(man) in the world, canā€™t decide without approval from his advisers, else Trump would have had the wall made on the border.

What has happened in the last four years is not solely down to TK - but how it happened, and how it was communicated is certainly on his shoulders and there are few who will agree the methods have been sound given the impact on volunteers.

1 Like

100%

Whoever replaces him needs reminding on day 1 we are volunteers at the end of the day. If he says jump, weā€™re not replying how high, weā€™re asking why, and expecting a notice period.

6 Likes

Heā€™s done a Cameron. Maybe heā€™ll be back as RC(SW) after a short break

1 Like

The direction of travel is set by AOC 22 Gp so even when Tony is gone the direction will remain anyway. I donā€™t think a new commandant will make much of a difference, they might just communicate better or understand volunteers better.

1 Like

Is that the RAFAC youā€™re meaning, or the United Kingdom in general? :crazy_face:

These are probably the first steps towards meeting a budget reduction!!