Climatic Injuries Training - Pause and Reassess Order July 2022

So you’re telling me the guidance aimed at fit and healthy serving regulars; adults, isn’t suitable for 12/13/14 year old?!

It’s almost like MOD policy used by regulars might not be suitable for youth groups, who’d of thought?!

5 Likes

Let’s take a step back and be clear:

It’s not a bad idea overall, it’s far better than the last stop where there was no appeal process, and it applied regardless. That was just dumb.

What this does, is stop all activity, and make us justify why it should go ahead. Which is a fair question when you look at the forecast for next weekend and early next week, it’s going to be horrific out there, so, making people justify why they should continue, and how it’s going to be safe IS good policy.

The issues with all of this is two fold: First, the frankly terrible dissemination of the policy, that’s shambolic as ever and HQAC should be reviewing this ASAP.

Second, the policy as it’s currently written is basically practically impossible to comply with as it forces reliance on a system which we are not geared up to use, nor trained to use, using a piece of equipment we are not allowed to have. Which they should know, as it’s their policy that says we can’t use it. So why not just issue the alternative policy now?

11 Likes

No (extra characters to post)

Take a look at JSP375 Annex C, it’s easy to find with a quick sharepoint search, all different activities have different ratings, with different categories depending if the individual is acclimatised or not. what the guidance says is that for this weekend, treat everyone as if they are NOT. which is sensible, as we aren’t really.

The problem is it relies on readings from the QT34. Which noone has, and isn’t for kids.

from the letter
For those in the UK outside of the Amber warning area, or planning to deliver non-physical activity inside the warning area (such as a parade night on your unit) this will be a simple review of risk assessments to ensure appropriate actions and controls to allow activity to continue.

Agreed - ultimately activities for cadets should be as safe as reasonably possible.

So what would happen in the case of an incident at RIAT involving RAFAC personnel?..asking for a friend…

1 Like

seems weird that something as important as this, effecting so many, would only go to OC’s, what harm is there in sending this to everyone to make them aware?

C

It went to all staff in my wing, it was sent by HQAC at 2300 last night, forwarded to Wing Co by Region at 0907.

Just took my Wing Co until 4pm to send it to us…

No change on my camp.

Edit - Also no email still

From what’s been copied and pasted above, the recent email that people are talking about is different to the one that went through the chain last night/this morning.

Note similar but not the same. I’ve not received either, so am only going off of what I’ve seen in here.

2 Likes

The whole thing is a confusing mess. Not helped by the fact that we currently have these issues:

• A recent shift in policy (as far as I can tell,) where we have ditched the Climatic Injuries “don’t be your own worst enemy” nonsense training and moved onto using JSP375. (This is not of itself a bad thing)
  • We don’t yet have replacement training programmes, say videos or even powerpoints for the new system. The JSP system is NOT straightforward, and I’m doing my best to read into it, and it’s not easy.
  • The JSP system is designed for regular units, and it seems is particularly Army focussed, as it only has tables for PT Kit, MTP, MTP with Body armour & helmet and CBRN PPE. Where would No2C fit in for instance? Is it considered cooler than MTP or hotter?
  • The JSP system relies on the use of WBGT machines which we don’t have.
  • Our emergency system tells us to use an agreed alternative to the JSP tables, which we don’t have.

Basically, we need a bespoke alternative to the JSP system, akin to it but not the same.

6 Likes

or someone to say “the JSP says this, but for RAFAC…”

RIAT SMS still in DRAFT by the way, seriously considering calling my troops back…

Who is the activity IC? In lieu of, maybe speak to the delivery duty holder if you can and ask what’s going on?

OC RIAT. It’s it’s own post at HQAC.

Pretty sure HQAC activities DDH is CoS?

Of course it’s OC RIAT, dumb moment there from me…. Guess it would be CoS then?

I have just asked my CoC of a copy of JSP 375

It’s available on the Gov website.

me when i run an activity that’s not approved…

raw

5 Likes

It’s all on Sharepoint