Claiming subsistence for RAFAC activities

Edited for clarity - a weeks unpaid was taken of which the VA was to help offset.

Without sounding rude, a weeks unpaid is your decision, and the costs lost from that canā€™t be blamed on the org. Iā€™ve taken unpaid days a couple of times, but wouldnā€™t even consider a week, being in uniform or not.

3 Likes

Oh I see. Well yes, I can see why that being eaten in to might not be great!

Itā€™s a funny situation for sure.

I wouldnā€™t consider a day unpaid.

But I always struggle to use all my annual leave so can blow 5 days a year in a camp. I know not many others can get away with that at home.

I get the standard 28 days, but my boss is quite relaxed. Given the amount of overtime I do to gain extra, taking a day off on a Friday as unpaid is manageable. Iā€™ve taken annual leave for camps though.

If your self employed everything is unpaid.

6 Likes

I get that, but the point being itā€™s still a personal decision to do a weeks camp. I know a lot of staff who just wonā€™t because they donā€™t want to use up holiday and canā€™t afford a weeks unpaid.

1 Like

Which due to the ridiculous matrix can be limiting for the individual.

2 Likes

Youā€™re not wrong there. But personally I wouldnā€™t want to pay to volunteer for a week just so I have a tick in a box to get a promotion. :man_shrugging:

The weeks away Iā€™ve done were not influenced by any of that, mainly because Iā€™m a CI! The weeks away Iā€™ve done were essentially me enjoying a hobby! Taking kids out climbing/paddling/mountain biking etc. Or taking a week off to learn how to do those things.

And as a CI you arenā€™t paying an messing or accommodation.

1 Like

But overall Iā€™m missing out moreā€¦

Not rude at all :slight_smile:

I made the decision based on previous experience and the fact that my Cadets wouldnā€™t have got a camp had I not.

Is what it is, lessons learned - my issues are my own etc etc.

Those aside, my original point is that paying anything out of pocket seems to be accepted as normal, whereas my experience would suggest for other CFAVā€™s it is not.

4 Likes

It depends what you do I guess. I really feel there should be no CFAV, uniformed or otherwise, that end up out of pocket for doing cadet activities. Iā€™ve done volunteering elsewhere and never ended up out of pocket.

3 Likes

I agree, but it is common eg in Scouts to pay towards camp costs. Sometimes itā€™s minimal, something in the food kitty, but in other groups it can be rather a lot.

Iā€™d always thought unavoidable costs for volunteers should be reclaimable so for us that would include food & accommodation. VA is to cover other things such as maintenance of kit.

If we did away with VA weā€™d all need all PPE and equipment issued - boots, waterproofs, daysacks, bergans etc. 2 sets of for those who do AT and mil activities.

But why would you need that issued if VA went away? I donā€™t get VA and have never been issued any of those things. But I have and use all of them.

Itā€™s a tricky line I think as I havenā€™t purchased the equipment purely for cadet use. Any group kit is purchased via CWC and isnā€™t mine. But my personal kit does get more wear and tear because of the stuff I do with cadets. But all of the stuff that is mine, I use my self whilst not at cadets too.

And yes I do believe any stuff that is only really used within cadets should be issued. Uniform/tailoring, bargains for FC and other FC type stuff.

And if VA is to cover things such as kit maintenance, then it should be a flat rate per day across all ranks. incl CIs. Not varying from Ā£30 to over Ā£100 depending what you wear on your shoulder.

2 Likes

Under the SST I have to have greens including combat boots. I need webbing to be able to conduct FT. I donā€™t wear any of that on the train to work or if I go for a hike with friends.

CIs donā€™t need the above - granted - and they get my spare webbing when helping on courses.

But there is a lot of stuff I do need under the PPE rules for AT. All my AT gear totalled up is a hell of a lot of money, but Iā€™ve never received a penny from HQ towards any of it, even though I use it mostly for cadet stuff? If VA is meant to cover these things, then why is it Uniform only? Personally I donā€™t feel cadets should help pay for stuff I use personally and for cadets.

As I said above, we all need to be able to claim all expenses so weā€™re not out of pocket. But VA is just shooting in the dark to do this. A Sgt and a Sqn Ldr on the same week long AT camp for example will have very similar expenses, but very very different amounts they can claim back.

Does your wing not have webbing that can be borrowed also? I see no reason why the wing CWC couldnā€™t buy these items for staff and cadets to use?

1 Like

And to summarise with the overall issues, the current system is not fair. Some people are essentially gaining a ā€˜profitā€™ via VA, as their expenses for what they deliver are very low. And some staff are very much out of pocket from their volunteering. Either because they are a CI or low rank that gets little VA, and the activities they do have a much higher ā€˜entry costā€™.

I think that is a very good summary. I would certainly favour CIs getting VA.

1 Like

I think that we are incredibly lucky to be able to claim any money towards our kit. Itā€™s certainly not the standard for other volunteering roles/organisations.

3 Likes