Claiming subsistence for RAFAC activities

This, imo, is what we should be aiming for anyway. Nobody should be out of pocket for volunteering, including staff cadets, CIs etc.

But how many would just do it regardless?

It’s not just a case of doing it, it’s when we do it. How much of this is done when we are supposed to be working for our legitimate employer and the potential repercussions if we get caught undertaking non-business activities when we are supposed to be working. In my old job I was caught printing things and got a telling off, which meant I became sneakier about doing things.

Currently that is what VA is for - to pay for things we need to do the role. Anything bigger - Civ Com.

No it’s not.
Its an allowance in recognition of work done, in uniform.
The fact most use it to fund their hobby is irrelevant as to its purpose.

I know one Flt Lt for example, who for 30+ years has put all his VA, mileage and HTD into a separate pension.
He was telling me that if he takes it at 65 as an annuity, he’s got approx £250pm for rest of life.

…i spend mine on kit, the rest i waste…
To paraphrase one of the greats.

6 Likes

That’s actually a very smart move. I don’t have the discipline (as my kit cupboard proves)

1 Like

At the end of the day no system is perfect and this is the system we have

Remember, whilst uniformed CFAV can claim upto 28 days VA a year, the RAFAC budget does not get anywhere near to 28 days * number of uniformed CFAV (not sure what the average is but bet it is single digit)

So if you want to change the system just remember to factor in how that will effect how the jam is spread and how thin that application might result in - it will be the same jam pot (although in my experience when they change the jam pot they tend to get a smaller pot as well)

The system needs to change to properly reflect the way the organisation has changed and VA scrapped.
I think we should move an expenses based system and central remuneration for all transporting or travelling on activities where all CFAV claim not just a few in uniform. Or a flat rate for ALL CFAV, which reflects and covers the costs incurred.
I think it is a nonsense that in the 21st century VA is still used as a lure to tempt people to go into uniform.

That’s appalling motivation, and it shouldn’t be the case, now or ever.

It’s a nice little bonus and helps with the I’m disappearing for a day conversations.

I’d disagree with that, for some people it really does make a difference as to whether they can or can’t volunteer.

2 Likes

Yes, but shouldn’t be the motivation for a uniformed volunteer role, something that allows it but not the reason you want to.

1 Like

Why not?

It is the only thing that is different between being a CI and uniform. It is how I encourage some CIs to go into uniform. “Why wouldn’t you want to do the same things as you do now but claim VA for it?”

1 Like

It is the only real reason I’m considering going into uniform, now that the cost of living has gone up so much, and doing the amount I do with cadets is digging into that deeper and deeper.

Going into uniform won’t fundamentally change what I deliver.

2 Likes

I have just returned from Nijmegen which is RTL, does not attract VA or motor mileage and we have to complete a qualifying event for.

I have paid in the regions of £1000-£1500 traveling at least 40 miles 8 times, purchased boots socks MTP trousers x2 t shirt x1 polo shirt x2 entry at £95, Air fare at £111, Train at 16 euro, bus ticket at 14.40 messing/accomm £50.
I get 9 day pay for qualifying and the event. I usually have another 16 days training the teams.
All other RTL activates attract pay and travel we do not even have a common system accross the corps let alone a fair one.
Why should I be out of packet for liking road marching. If I was a shooter or first aid trainer then I would not be out of pocket.
Days volunteering days VA. As that great thinker Clarksonious said. How hard can it be.

Why not? It’s the only thing that’s really different between being a CI and uniformed member of Staff for most CI’s.

1 Like

Err, what? When driving to any training event, or driving to coach pick up points etc you can claim that on 1771. You can also claim 7 days VA whilst attending Nijmagen it’s self if in uniform. All the qualifying should be claimable under normal rules?

Your right, it SHOULD, but Barbara Cooper restricted the number of VA days claimable for Road Marching to as Mr Oz said - 9 days VA (based on 7 at Nijmegen and 2 at Cosford). It was a disgrace which led to her not being the honorary position of President of RAFWARMA as most CRAFAC are.

Maybe…
But it was also to stop a minority who were using it as a huge cash cow.

However it is skinned… RM is very VA intensive.

Taking into account that there needs to be VA to cover all the other stuff, it had to be rationed.

Why does VA have to be rationed? Shouldn’t I choose what I claim VA for

1 Like

Not sure I agree there. Why ration just for one activity? I know staff who use all their VA just for First Aid, or just for AT etc etc. I didn’t actually know RM had this restriction, but having now looked it up am amazed!

Although the rules to me look loose enough to claim more than the 9, as the 9 is specific for Nijmegen and RAFWARMA. So claiming for normal cadet RM training days should be on top of that, no?

1 Like

It is rationed, at 28 days per person.

You’re either happy for people to use their days, or you’re not.

2 Likes