CIs not paying for meals on Summer Camps

Please could somebody point me in the direction of the reference for Civilian Instructors (and Chaplains?) not paying for their meals whilst on Summer camp. I cannot find anything in ACP237. Thanks in anticipation

I have never seen a CI paying for meals on either ‘blue’ or ‘green’ camps, just don’t know what the reference is, it might be RAF/MOD policy as much as the ACO. Are you a CI/Chaplain and been asked to pay? Within the ACO for staff, I think that it comes down to being at a place of duty but not in receipt of/able to claim pay.

Hi,
Hopefully you’ve got access to SharePoint, in which case it’s here:
https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/Controlled%20Documents/Food%20and%20Accommodation%20Policy%20for%20FY%2017-18.pdf

The paragraph that relates to your question is:
“Civilian Instructors or Civilian Gliding Instructors) should be classed as “Free Feeders” and the CRL contractor, therefore is able to charge for the attendant costs – “actual costs of these meals are to be reclaimed by the Contractor, from the appropriate MOD or civilian agency as appropriate, on a Trading Period Basis” (paragraph 0212 Chapter 2). Free Feeders are only entitled to the core menu and additional food must be paid for by the individual.”

Kind regards,
Andy.

1 Like

This is also applicable to staff who could claim pay but don’t.

its in ACP300.

Basically for anyone not in receipt of pay, CI, Officer or otherwise, they are classed as Crown Feeders so do not pay any messing fees however, most messes are on a PAYD system where they would probably still need to pay.

You don’t need to pay even PAYD as long as you are having the core menu, you just tell the person at the till that you are a free feeder, they are used to it.

It’s the additional bit that catches people out. The core menus are a bit lacking, so people have extras and get caught out and have to pay.

TBH I’ve never understood the core menu, far too controlling for my liking.

Sorry what’s difficult to understand most if not all stations have a menu with Core meal and then what it is…

I think you will find it all depends on the station on what the food is like. Worst has been Halton best was Boulmer

ACO PERSONNEL
CHARGES
NO CHARGE
NOTES
MOD Sponsored cadets.
Air Training Corps (ATC)
Combined Cadet Force (CCF)

When Cadets are on a duty visit the daily cadet contribution for messing is payable for each 24-hour period or part there of irrespective of number of meals taken.

No accommodation charge.

Cadets who are members of families in receipt of income support or family credit are exempted from paying cadet contribution.
Defence Catering Manual – JSP 456, Vol 2, Chap 14, para 1402 – Policy for non-PAYD.
JSP 456, Vol 4, Chap 2, para 0228 – Policy PAYD units.
Current Cadet Contribution to Messing rate is ÂŁ1.77 per day (wef 1 Apr 13).
Adult Cadet Officers RAFVR(T),
WO (ATC), FS (ATC), Sgt (ATC)

ATC Honorary Chaplains (classed as on paid duty when in receipt of “Attendance Allowance”).

Personnel on paid duty.

Non-Pay as You Dine (PAYD) units – Individual pays the entitled casual meal charge.

PAYD units – individual pays the entitled rate for a standard core menu. Any higher priced menus are an individual responsibility for payment.

No accommodation charge.
If on unpaid duty then there is no charge for meals or accommodation (other than extra messing on non-PAYD units).

The PAYD Contractor must class ACO personnel on unpaid duty as free feeders and claim the costs back from the central catering fund.
Defence Catering Manual – JSP 456, Vol 2, Chap 14, para 1402 – Policy for Non-PAYD units.
JSP 456, Vol 4, Chap 2. para 0228 – Policy for Catering, Retail and Leisure (CRL) - PAYD units.
Entitled casual meal charge is ÂŁ 4.52 (wef 1 Apr 13).
It is an individual responsibility to pay any extra messing charges.
Any non-duty visits are charged at the non-entitled rate for food and accommodation.
ATC Civilian Instructors,
Civilian Committee Members and other civilian instructors.

No charge for meals or accommodation (other than extra messing on non-PAYD units).

The PAYD Contractor must class ACO personnel on unpaid duty as free feeders and claim the costs back from the central catering fund.
As these instructors are not in receipt of pay, unpaid duty, they are classed as free feeders.
Defence Catering Manual – JSP 456, Vol 2, Chap 14, para 1402 – Policy for Non-PAYD units.
JSP 456, Vol 4, Chap 2 para 0228 – Policy for Catering, Retail and Leisure (CRL) - PAYD units.