CI to Sgt(ATC) TImescales?

so after having been a cadet; gone to uni and attended whenever i possibly can as a CI at my sdn, i have finally finished uni and want a uniform again! what are the timescales and processes involved with getting that butt ugly white slide (ATC) :wink: For example if i approached my CO on thursday, when would i expect to hear things?

Depending on availability of your WSO, OC Wg and the WgExO (or whomever makes part of your board) then after the interview(s) they should either let you know immediately or the next day.

Once all the paperwork is filled out correctly, it all depends when HQAC can get it processed, I filed my paperwork in May last year, it was received in June but it wasnā€™t processed until August, which was when I was appointed but backdated to the date when Region signed it off.

Iā€™m not too sure if theyā€™re still having the same staffing issues at HQAC as they did last year though to deal with personnel paperworkā€¦

HTH

approaching CO and getting the interview is Wing dependant.

there are stories in our Wing of three weeks to three years

for me i aged out and placed my application in for uniform
11 months later had my interview
and it was finally confirmed 3 months after interview that i could wear my uniform!

i think that is the exception rather than the rule nowadays but dont have hopes for a ā€œquickā€ (2 months) turn around

If youā€™re talking about the whole process (from putting papers in to getting those rank slides in your hand), then you are probably better off asking how long a piece of string is.

I expressed an interest as soon as I became a CI. Paperwork went in three years ago. During that time my wing started a pre uniformed course (of sorts). That was dragged out, then I was forced to do it again (through no fault of my own). Again, this was dragged out & dragged out. I eventually got a date in January after badgering wing for months. Had to fill in new paperwork as mine was out of date. Failed that board by a margin of nothing & re sat a month ago. Passed & was told about a month for paperwork to go up & down the chain. Possibly longer for me as Iā€™m going to RIAT as a CI.

So, worst case scenario: three years.
Best case scenario (from someone else in my wing who leapfrogged me): just under a year.

Depends how quick your Wing are to deal with paperwork & get boards arranged.

It all depends upon your wing.
The only HQAC requirement is application form, BASIC course, interview then if successful Cranwell
However, Wings add in all sorts of additional steps
So the real answer is there is no set time period

[quote=ā€œasdevil768ā€ post=18970]If youā€™re talking about the whole process (from putting papers in to getting those rank slides in your hand), then you are probably better off asking how long a piece of string is.

I expressed an interest as soon as I became a CI. Paperwork went in three years ago. During that time my wing started a pre uniformed course (of sorts). That was dragged out, then I was forced to do it again (through no fault of my own). Again, this was dragged out & dragged out. I eventually got a date in January after badgering wing for months. Had to fill in new paperwork as mine was out of date. Failed that board by a margin of nothing & re sat a month ago. Passed & was told about a month for paperwork to go up & down the chain. Possibly longer for me as Iā€™m going to RIAT as a CI.

So, worst case scenario: three years.
Best case scenario (from someone else in my wing who leapfrogged me): just under a year.

Depends how quick your Wing are to deal with paperwork & get boards arranged.[/quote]

That is absolutely appalling.

As many have said, it depends entirely on how good your OC, Wing, WSO etc are. Our wing runs Sgts boards as and when required and the turnaround is pretty quick usually - I know of people where it has only taken 5-6 weeks between the board and getting their Sgt tapesā€¦

But other Wings are gash and drag their feet.

1 Like

I do not understand this. Iā€™ve had this happen to staff and never got a satisfactory answer as to how paperwork goes out of date and needs to be done again.
There seems to be two stock excuses for this to happen :

1. Wing sit on it and then blame the OC and individual
  2. Someone reformats the document or makes some other cosmetic change and decrees all of the old forms, despite the fact nothing has changed in terms of content, as being out of date.

I do not understand this. Iā€™ve had this happen to staff and never got a satisfactory answer as to how paperwork goes out of date and needs to be done again.
There seems to be two stock excuses for this to happen :

1. Wing sit on it and then blame the OC and individual
  2. Someone reformats the document or makes some other cosmetic change and decrees all of the old forms, despite the fact nothing has changed in terms of content, as being out of date.[/quote]
    By the time mine got to HQAC, the signature was more than 6 months old, which was their reasoning for it being ā€˜out of dateā€™.

Thatā€™s mental. I mean really odd.

Iā€™ve been told the 6 month thing as well. Makes no sense to anyone with an iota of intelligence.