CI interview

Hello,
So I am currently a CWO looking to become a CI in about 4 months time. My paperwork has almost been completed and I will shortly be awaiting my WSO interview. Just wondered if anyone can give me a heads up on what sort of things are brought up in a potential CI interview and if there’s anything I should know before hand.
TIA

From experience they’re usually just a chat and not much to be worried about. The WSO’s main focus will be on what you can bring to the party. If you’re already a CWO then I would guess you’re most of the way there and it’s just about checking that it’s the right course for you and the squadron.

If you’re a CWO alrready the CI part will be a short chat. The hardest part will be putting up with them trying to railroad you into going into uniform straight away.

4 Likes

Okay thanks for the info, just hope that it doesn’t take too lon g for it all to go through now. There are some horror stories of almost a year hope that’s not the case now haha :joy:

If it’s what you want to do, it is the right course.

It’s the conceit that someone thinks they know better than you, when it comes to being staff, that does this organisation no good.

Being a CI won’t do the WSO any favours, as all they are worried about is “uniform bums on seats”. I know why they don’t it when CI is mentioned as an option, because once people have found they can do all the things they want without a uniform (except some shouty SNCO stuff and running a sqn), if either of those are priorities, they won’t go into uniform or if they do it will be when they are good and ready.

I suppose that I thought about the phrase in a different manner rather than CI/uniform.

I took best part of a year out before coming back to the ATC, it worked for me and might for others but I suppose it’s not usually an option that’s given…

Unfortunately WSOs only have a one track mind wrt ex cadets becoming staff and that’s uniform. What the individual might want doesn’t even come into the equation.

It takes a strong willed 19 year old to say no to uniform, with someone they fear / are in awe of questioning them, even if it’s what they’ve decided it’s what they want to do.

Our Wing Commander used to be my CO many moons back and every meeting we have he always says “Still not taken up uniform” or words similar…my response has always been I can’t see myself tied down by uniform…basically. I’ve seen many uniformed staff regret in this day and age about being in uniform which gives me zero confidence as it is…

1 Like