Chinstrap on Peak Cap

When LLC duties I where my No.1’s with peak cap and I am wondering is there anything saying if I can use the chin strap as I’ve seen several pictures of cadets doing this?
Many Thanks

Not unless the wind is going to blow it off your head as that is what its used for.

Not to mention it looks horrible not sure why you would want to apart from the above.

Okay cheers for the reply. I prefer it tbh but each to their own.

Must admit all my time in the RAF I never used it only people I ever did see use it are QCS on parade

You could get another chin strap and attach it to the back of the hat?

And if the weather gets windy (strong gales) then just pull the strap down at the back of your head to stable the hat from coming off?

By the way I think only certain people are permitted to do this but find out from CoC if you can

Picture attached so you understand what im on about

[attachment=61]CAM00158.JPG[/attachment]

thanks woody

Thanks for the information. It was quite windy the other day when I was on a Royal visit and as she pulled up I could feel my peak starting to come off. Luckily it didn’t so I was just wandering if the strap could be worn. Thanks for all the prompt replies.

Haha that happens. Instead of using the front chinstrap use the backstrap at the back of your head to stable it in windy weather

You only use the front chinstrap on your chin if your in the QCS, so dont wear the front chinstrap on your chin :slight_smile:

Abit difficult to explain in writing

Thanks
Woody

“She”? [size=6]“SHE”?[/size].

Show some respect lad.

Whoa, That is not how the chinstrap is supposed to be worn, the clue is in the name, use the one attached to your hat and not a wierd extra one, just pull it down if it is windy, or better still make sure your hats fits. I have it on good authority something is coming out in CRO’s about this soon.

QCS wear their second one on their chin and keep the fitted one for appearances.

[quote=“Operation Nimrod” post=7187].

Show some respect lad.[/quote]

Beat 'im!

[quote=“Gunner” post=7205][quote=“Operation Nimrod” post=7187].
Show some respect lad.[/quote]
Beat 'im![/quote]Did he mean Liz?

As for chinstraps, I played with one once and the damn thing would not sit properly on the hat thereafter.

[quote=“woodhouse2152” post=7184]You could get another chin strap and attach it to the back of the hat?

And if the weather gets windy (strong gales) then just pull the strap down at the back of your head to stable the hat from coming off?

By the way I think only certain people are permitted to do this but find out from CoC if you can

Picture attached so you understand what im on about

[attachment=61]CAM00158.JPG[/attachment]

thanks woody[/quote]

Great photo only issue is you seem to be missing the chin strap only QCS should have the rear one but they will still have a front one fitted saying that I did just have a thought that you may or removed the front one to make the rear easier to see.

Either way Cadets most certainly shouldnt use the rear strap and only the front one if you are in dandger of said hat going for its own little flying leason If you are seen using it when not windy trust me on this one people will think what a idiot (thats the polite way of putting it)

[quote=“incubus” post=7209]
As for chinstraps, I played with one once and the damn thing would not sit properly on the hat thereafter.[/quote]

Was it someone else’s hat? :cheer:

[quote=“tango_lima” post=7218]Was it someone else’s hat? :cheer:[/quote]One of my many SD caps.

Yes i removed the front chinstrap and put it on the back so he understood what I was on about haha…

And I have seen people before with the rear strap around the back of their head to keep the hat stable and I have always thought if it was the correct way to wear it?

Airman SD hats shouldnt have a rear strap if you look the QCS hats are not normal SD hats but for some unknown reason people seem to add the rear one to hats I have no idea why though maybe they wish they were QCS :lol:

In over 100 parade I did while in training in a place chosen for its high winds, random weather and unique tidal streams. Even when the winds were over 25kts causing the main mast to be de-rigged. I have never seen anyone use a chin strap.

I can only think of 3 occasions where a cap has fallen off. The parades had about 200 people on each time, all in caps.

So thats a probability of you hat falling off in high winds of 0.015%

Do you really need to use a chin strap? No
Does it look stupid if you don’t have a chin strap across the top of the peak? Yes

I would also like to point out this line in AP 1385

a. No 1 SD Hat. The No 1 SD hat is to be worn so that the bottom of the hat is 25mm above the eyebrows, the front of the hat level and the badge positioned centrally. The chinstrap is to be taut and positioned to cover the blue seam between the hatband and peak.

[quote=“flago” post=7314]In over 100 parade I did while in training in a place chosen for its high winds, random weather and unique tidal streams. Even when the winds were over 25kts causing the main mast to be de-rigged. I have never seen anyone use a chin strap.

I can only think of 3 occasions where a cap has fallen off. The parades had about 200 people on each time, all in caps.

So thats a probability of you hat falling off in high winds of 0.015%

Do you really need to use a chin strap? No
Does it look stupid if you don’t have a chin strap across the top of the peak? Yes

I would also like to point out this line in AP 1385

a. No 1 SD Hat. The No 1 SD hat is to be worn so that the bottom of the hat is 25mm above the eyebrows, the front of the hat level and the badge positioned centrally. The chinstrap is to be taut and positioned to cover the blue seam between the hatband and peak.[/quote]

Also it looks stupid with the chin strap down!

I have no idea why people in the ACO feel the need to use them and look stupid In my years in the RAF not once did I see an airman use it.

As rightly said before get a better fitting hat you dont se female SD hats with straps

I’ve got to confess…I had no idea they actually could be adjusted to be worn as actual chin straps…