China & Russia

No jokes can be made of the enormity of this.
War has come to Europe again.

God save the peoples of Ukraine.

6 Likes

Im genuinly concerned the impact to the global economy on this… Theres an awful lot of rthe global. Supplies of raw materials now effectivly in a war zone

Radio4 were saying that Royals Royce gets 20% of its raw titanium from Russian sources.

Most obvious statement of the day goes to…

1 Like

Genuinly could trigger a mega global economic crash. The economy is volatile atm like never before

1 Like

Ever watched Threads?

1 Like

yet the stock market was up 4% yesterday as i understand it…??? is this a big push for the “up” before the crash?

FTSE100 has already taken a noise dive this morning. Oil prices are likely going to soar when more sanctions are put in place. But quite honestly that’s nothing compared to what the people in Ukraine are going to be directly dealing with.

Genuinely worried for those getting caught up in the middle of this. Also sloghtly nervous that NATO may get fully involved given how close Russia has been bombing to Slovakia.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #35 “War is good for business”

1 Like

I’ve watched it more times than I should.
Everyone should.

Might make a few realise what the risks are.

Going to have to dig out Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy again. I Think NATO should be sending troops to Iceland…

2 Likes

Be interesting to see the UN/NATO response to this. How they react sets a precedent going forward.

I find it insane that Russia as part of the UN can veto on sanctions against themselves? Surely if you’re the unjust aggressor, then you forfeit that right?

1 Like

That’s just in the security council bit so Russia can veto the UN getting militarily involved or deploying peacekeepers.

In general council there is no veto.

1 Like

So apparently the Baltic nations and Poland have triggered Article 4. So there should be some proper NATO meetings now to see what to do.

Ah, I see, so that veto can be overruled if necessary?

The sad thing is, the precedence was set almost 8 years ago to the day when Russia invaded/liberated (depending on which side of the table you sit) and annexed the Crimean peninsula from the Ukraine.

Our response was equally weak then.

2 Likes

Nope because the military bit is under the security council not the the general assembly but tI think the general assembly can impose sanctions.

Reading Wikipedia Britain wanted the veto not to apply if a permanent member was a party to the dispute, Russia wanted an absolute veto on matters being discussed. Considering all the stuff we do teach in Cadets I’m surprised we don’t go into more detailed regard NATO & the UN.

2 Likes

The difference between then and now is that there was a pro Russia government in place which is why there wasn’t much of a fight from Ukraine.

Militarily I don’t see any response whatsoever, possibly a beefing up of the forces in the eastern NATO countries but probably very little of that. (Afterall the tripwire forces are already in place).

This will damage western economies, but Russia’s economy is fundamentally weak, a complete embargo along with a mass seizure of assets overseas cold bring down their economy and government in months.

1 Like

I can’t remember the guys name but on BBC news earlier, an advisor was saying he recommended putting NATO troops into Ukraine and this may have deterred the invasion.

I can’t see that even being a possibility if Ukraine is a non- NATO member but I feel like I do not know enough on this subject to comment further.

It is all very alarming.