Cheap IT options

We are looking at cheap IT options for running classes, basic internet access and ultilearn exams. Would Chromebooks allow this?

I know they aren’t as diverse as laptops or pcs but I’ve seen some at £150 which would mean we could get a couple which would in turn mean more than one class at a time would benefit…

Does anyone use them at Sqn or know enough about them to comment if they could be used for class and exam work?

1 Like

Chromebooks are a great cheap resource for web access and basic lessons. Just make sure the hardware you buy has suitable connections for projectors etc and think about how you will be getting stuff on to them to teach, ie stored on sharepoint and accessed using an internet connection so you need wifi in your classrooms and decent broadband.

I think going this way is likely the right move. With the increasing dependence on online applications for everything (exams, DofE etc.) we’re going to need more and more means of access.

We’ve got a bunch of desktops at the moment but nowhere near enough for the numbers of cadets we have.

It might be worth contacting the local council - some have schemes where they donate unrequired items to local groups.

If they have something then it may at least act as a stop-gap while you assess options or raise further funding…

1 Like

We just got a bunch of Chromebooks for exactly this reason. They work perfectly well for this purpose, and are also enough to allow SNCOs to run presentations via Google slides.

I’ve always wondered about a bunch of Raspberry Pi’s or equivalent bolted onto the back of monitors with vesa mounts. Would be more than enough for our web needs.

I’m successfully using a Raspberry Pi and and old TV for the cadets to use.

What models did you get?

I did wonder about raspberry pi as an option… I still fancy trying some pi projects as well.

We just went through a recent IT purchase and managed to get some great deals!

We got these computers: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152944618596
They are really small, are plenty fast enough for absolutely anything cadets could throw at them and they are a decent price! The seller is really great and will give a slight discount if you buy 5 or more!

We paired them with these monitors: https://www.europc.co.uk/hp-elitedisplay-e231-23-inch-led-backlit-monitor-hd-1920-x-1080-full-hd-europc-30-days-rtb-warranty-119811.html
They are a really good price for what you get! We were able to mount the computers on the back of the monitors to get a really clean setup!

2 Likes

I think it’s the Acer 14 CB3.

1 Like

We bought Chromebooks and they are perfect for everything our cadets do. We put Chromecasts on all our projectors and big screens so projecting is wireless and really easy. Would recommend to anyone looking to purchase new IT kit.

3 Likes

What model did you go with? And what a great use for Chromecast… I never thought if that :grinning:

We got Acer Aspire CB3-431 Chromebooks
The Chromecasts work really well - you can even name them “Room 1”, “Main Hall”, etc.
You just need to be careful to connect to the right one - or it kicks the other user off!

1 Like

Have you considered iPads at all?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Cheeky sod

1 Like

One the problems with for want of a phrase fancy IT set ups is suitably knowledged and experienced staff to keep them going.
When squadrons first started getting into IT we went to a squadron for the COs conference which had an all singing and dancing (for its time) IT system, all PCs and printers networked. But they had a CI who did it for a living and the know how to do it and had the contacts to get the stuff. A few years later the then OC was looking at redundant PCs and so on and no one with a clue.

So while some on here will be getting all whimsical about this and that, save a thought for those who don’t know and or don’t have the staff who can do this sort of thing. Don’t mention cadets as they are like snow.

2 Likes

But of course that’s one of the reasons for having this forum.
You can ask any question on here and be fairly sure someone will know an answer and be able to help.

If it was that simple, IT wouldn’t be the business that it is.

From what I’ve “seen” chromebooks seem to be “school” thing, I don’t know anyone who has one at home or that they admit to. When you can access the web from any computer, as a layman what are the benefits of chromebook vs windows laptop? Cost is not a constraint.