Changing parade night

As a staff team, we are discussing changing one of our parade evenings. We have our own building so it is definitely feasible.

Has anyone done this? If so how did you go about it? Who did you inform? (How) did you consult cadets/parents?

Thanks!
Oryx

Going back a few years but one of my old squadrons changed nights. Tuesday & Thursday to Tuesday & Friday.

Parents got an letter saying we were changing and a date of change, we got one parent complain but the cadet didn’t exactly have the best attendance anyway, we actually saw them more after the change than before.

Win/Win in our situation.

We were forced to change about 16 years ago from Monday/Thursday to Monday/Wednesday because the ACF decided they wanted to parade on Thursdays, and we were told as it was “their building” they have primacy.

I think we just informed people in advance by letter.

Happened to my unit when I was a unit officer to avoid the ACF parade evenings.

We just sent letters to parents and let the Wing execs know.

Update any websites and social media presence in advance.

Bad drills, if you dont tell them you have changed then you never get a visit :wink:

1 Like

Not entirely related… but i’d be cautious if you’re changing to a Friday. A sqn near me did this and nearly halfed their attendance and reduced the size of their future intakes.

On the flip side a Unit i know who didn’t have their own building, but was a community hall, moved into thier own building and so could choose their nights rather than have it dictated by when the facilities were available,

there was a poll which when out to the Cadets and Parents and despite the Staff wishes to move from a Friday night there was a significant majority who wanted to stick with the Friday night.

my personal experience, while at uni I transferred to the local unit and they had a Friday night parade. there was a notable reduced SNCO attendance on Fridays (it didn’t bother me i was a Student and thus enjoyed Wednesday nights as that was “student night”) so for those 16 going on 17, 17-18 pre-uni (or not choosing the uni route) they were less likely to attend.
it isn’t to say no one did, but if one didnt it was likely they were all invited to the same party…

If I did a Friday I would have a lower Staff turn out, most partners who don’t mind you being absent on a Tuesday may well have a different outlook on every Friday night. (My Mrs certainly would!)

Seconded!

I was single when I did a Friday night and hated it then…i can’t see it being any better now!

Best options are a Monday/Tuesday and then a Thursday night, as if you parade on a Friday and have a late notification of an activity that weekend then it may be too late. You just need to confirm which new parade night and then inform your Wing HQ and, of course, the parents, but be advised you won’t please everyone!

My first squadron did Tuesday’s and Friday’s. We always had good attendance, but there was many a time I wished it wasn’t on a Friday night.

Now we do Monday’s and Thursday’s. They do tend to be more favourable for the majority.

I miss Mon/Thurs parade nights. They were the bestest.

Meanwhilst, back on topic. It’s worth finding out if you’ve got “directory listings” stuff. You may have an advert on your LA website, any newspaper directories etc. Theyll need updating too. One sqn managed to get a press release in their local rag about the change in parade nights, which somehow generated some interest!!!

1 Like

Thanks everyone - some things I hadn’t thought of there, including the directory listings etc. Let’s see if I can get a press release and get some additional recruits as a result!

Slightly OT, a mate of mine took over squadron that paraded on Friday and managed 3 months. He run 2 squadrons previously for 7 and 15 years each. He said Friday was a struggle to motivate himself after a week at work and tbh I can see where he’s coming from.

I was at a sqn a few years ago and the OC decided to change the Sqn nights from Monday Friday to Monday Thursday for there convenience. Unfortunately, the local collage had Thursday as one of its busiest nights so we lost most of the older cadets on Thursdays along with some staff who worked there. Also, the 2 major local schools had lots of sports type evening subjects on a Thursday night so for the first month the staff out numbered the cadets after that we went back to Monday Friday. Before you take this decision, you have to look at the affect on the cadets. You need to find out what is going on at the cadets Schools and colleges as well as the staff availability and make a decision that will have the least adverse effect on attendance.

We had an OC in the past who changed the Sqn Nights from Tues/Thurs to Tues/Fri on “a 6 month trial”. I spoke to him 3 months into this to explain how it wasnt working and no no no we have to give it a full 6 months. I then again pointed out the Sqn attendance dropped by 50% on the Friday night each week and no it has tto have a full 6 month trial. In the end I saluted and walked out the office.
This after I was also assured during the consultation period that if we were going away anywhere on a weekend, this would not be hindered by parade nights. First Wing Shooting weekend at Sennybridge after the move to Fridays, oh informal WSO visit, no you have to do the Parade night then you can take the Cdts up - Sir, that means we’ll get there at 1230am! Thats not safe with driving and not fair on the Cdts …cue OC saying oh , erm, ehhh - Won that one

Friday Parade Nights works in some places, in others it dosent.
Ensure you have a fully consultantive period before any change with all Staff and Cdts made to feel they can voice their opinions honestly and that those opinions will be heeded.

1 Like

We do Tuesday and Friday, it works well for us. One advantage (and its small) is that during the exam periods you still maintain your cadets at least one night a week but that wouldn’t warrant a change in night. There are some occasions where we stand down the squadron because we have a weekend activity but that may conflict only a couple of times a year. I think the decision to shift is very personal to the squadron and the environment they have, think carefully before changing.

1 Like