Challenge Coins

How much did they charge for how many?

I’ll ask the SSI, though she’s on furlough at the moment and got in trouble for doing anything CCF related last time

Partial furlough is a thing now! If you normally do 40 hours a week you can do 5 hours work then get paid 35 hours as furlough! :slight_smile:

They’ve dumped her in full again

We’d never have to afford this :pleading_face::grimacing:

6 Likes

First time in 23 years for us.

1 Like

I can kind of see the appeal. We went down the shield route but they are quite large and expensive. Maybe a combination of this for events like being best squadron etc or other events, and keep the shields for individual things.

If anyone has bought any before, please do let us know where from

I like the idea of them as an award that isn’t the conventional promotion or presentation evening award.

For example Joe bloggs goes above and beyond what they are suppose to do, the oc has these in his back pocket of a way of saying well done and thank you

3 Likes

Yeah I think in those circumstances they would work best for less local Commanders (Sector/Wing), after all I would expect the majority of my Cadets at Squadron level to impress me regularly.

This defiantly seems like the better use of these. To be kept in the top draw to give out sparingly for above and beyond. Better than just an OCs commendation certificate.

3 Likes

I know that was Station Commander at Odhiam does

I can feel a policy from Hqac coming on this…

‘Favouritism from staff or OCs shown to cadets via gifts is unacceptable’ etc etc.

Or worse… ‘staff giving gifts to cadets must be aware of the public / outward perception, especially if the receiver is of the opposite sex’

‘In all cases records and data must be kept and shown to merit such gifts on an exceptional basis only’

Just saying.

Else it’s all a bit dodgy.

Definitely need a written policy on Sqn / Wing as to when they will be given out. If only to cover your own backsides.

E.g. when a cadet ages out, or for when someone external helps the Sqn to a certain degree.

1 Like

Why would this be any different to giving out plaques of certificates? It would be for more-or-less the same reason? Or promotions for that matter.

3 Likes

“Prime Minister’s Protection Team”… I’ll bet that one’s dropped in value a little over recent years.

Well, no more so than any other Sqn award.

2 Likes

Agree entirely…

But Sqn awards normallly have some.sort of procedure around them.

This is being discussed as the OC just gives it to they think has done well.

‘From his top drawer’ type remarks etc.

I’m just saying there should at least be some process. If only for self bum covering.

1 Like

Massively depends on the squadron. I’m used to it being the OC that is picking most of the awards and then asking for staff feedback. This would be pretty much the same as that.

Also to add I’ve been at a unit where the promotions were done just by the OC. Sometimes completely randomly and even the staff weren’t in the loop until final parade. But I don’t agree with the process.

1 Like

Indeed.
I’m just advocating caution. That’s all.

2 Likes

Perception can sometimes be more damaging than the truth.

I do understand the need for a process and if you’re like me, I like process. Process means order and order means a right way of doing things!

I think, like any other award, back it up with solid reasoning and a certificate/little write up can go in the cadets file. Cadet obviously takes the coin.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is the right way. As I said before I see it in line with OCs commendation. At my squadron that would include a write up and record. Also generally the rest of the staff will be canvased for opinion even though it’s ‘OCs award’.

There are usually a handful of these going around at RIAT
the airshow does some but also some of the flying teams - this example from the Chinook team for instance raises some money for the Squadron while someone gets a memento from the day/a favourite aircraft display team