CFAV selection and mandatory training

I have been wondering about the different selection/training regimes for uniformed CFAV. I, think I know some but not others and wondered if people could help. Just interested in the different routes and why they are different.

RAFAC Officer (ATC)
Interview with wing/regional staff??
OASC (2 day selection)
OIC (1 Week course)

RAFAC Officer (CCF) [Teacher]
Recommendation by head teacher
Interview by TEST Officer
OIC (1 Week course)

RAFAC Officer (CCF) [Non teacher]
Interview by TEST officer
OASC (2 day selection)
OIC (1 Week course)

CCF (Army) Officer
Interview at Brigade
Intro course with CTT (2 day)
Basic course at Frimley (6 day)

What about ACF officer, ACF SNCO, ATC SNCO, CCF(Army) SNCO, SCC Officer, SCC PO, SSC(RM) Officer, SSC(RM) SNCO, CCF(RN) Officer and CCF(RM) Officer? (anything else I’ve missed?)

Worth noting that (IIRC), ATC officers do 2 x 1 week courses (OIC and SCC) whereas CCF(RAF) just do 1 (OIC)

1 Like

True, although SCC is only a requirement to become a Squadron commander rather than an officer isn’t it? Not that gets around the fact there isn’t even one for contingent Commander

It can vary slightly. My wing runs a two day course designed to see if you have the potential for SNCO or officer and help prepare you for your board / OASC. This is a mandatory part of the process if you want to go into uniform.

1 Like

Ours is the same, although curiously only for officers at the moment (so at present, officers essentially sit OASC twice whereas SNCOs don’t do it at all).

ACP20 Pers 201 requires all candidates for commission to attend a pre-uniform course. I think some wings are extending this to potential SNCOs as well, even though this is not a strict requirement.

As i understand it the course is a day (well a morning) of HQAC/OASC prepared slides on what to expect from the selection process.
then some mock exercises (speed/distance/time decision making etc).

that course is mandatory before visiting OASC (and should be after the selection board)

as such no point for the SNCOs but can understand Wings creating their own version for SNCOs - although with no selection it will just be a “what to expect for ATF”

I wonder how much value these actually are in terms of relevance in preparing people for the role(s) in a voluntary community based organisation?

1 Like

I’m still to be persuaded of the need for speed distance time calculations for CFAV officer

2 Likes

I queried that when it first appeared and was told because we’re part of the RAF.
I think that’s because they just lifted the RAF OASC document for the ATC because that’s what they knew and changing anything to make it relevant would require an understanding of the end role of ATC Officers.

1 Like

It’s nothing to do with the actual maths.

It’s testing the ability to have a selection of given information and being able to analyse the situation and different outcomes and make the “right” decision.

That decision is then questioned and the potential officer should be able to justify their answer.

These are the qualities which are being tested as being good as these apparently is a sign of a good officer…

…if that officer is a good officer in the RAFAC is to up for debate

2 Likes

It might not actually be about the maths but it is, therefore if your maths is weak given one of these it would like asking someone with dyslexia to read the convoluted stories that go with it.

1 Like

Naturally in order for one to calculate the latest that you can leave from work to arrive at the Sqn in time?

1 Like

Of course. That’s it!

What utter tosh.
Going by the examples I’ve seen of these exercises, any film, soap opera etc storyline is more believable than the convoluted BS of these things.

They should do one where it says you set off in good time, but they’ve shut the local main road due to an accident and all the local roads are knackered. Hence there have been occasions when it takes me 1½ hours to get to work or home, as opposed to 20-30 minutes.