Celebrating Success / Feel Good Stories from the RAFAC

you can nominate anyone for honours yourself

But the moment they see “cadets” it gets shunted off into the military system.

1 Like

Nope, as soon as it’s for someone within RAFAC they divert it to the military system and the CoC quash if as it hasn’t gone through them.

… and they don’t have one.

3 Likes

I heard this story second hand so not sure of how truthful it was but I did hear a story a few years ago of as they were then VRT Officer who received a BEM for voluntary things totally outside of the ATC or the military world in general (no reference made to his cadet volunteering on citation) and 1) got in a rollocking for accepting it without getting permission/informing his cadet CofC. 2) their OC wing informed him he wasn’t to wear it on VRT uniform as it was “inappropriate” for a officer to be awarded and wear a BEM as it “was to junior” “and BEM are not awarded to officers”.

Said OC Wing did not by the way have a state honour.

It does show some peoples views on the honours system in this organisation.

1 Like

Sounds like he deserves an MBE.

1 Like

That really does seem to be the problem.

So are we saying that a CFAV who does other stuff must always get sucked into the military award system because of their CFAV status?

Seems presumptuous of the military.

2 Likes

Can’t have ordinary CFAVs being awarded BEMs, MBEs, etc when those far higher can’t have one.

I did know someone who joined the army as a regular in their 30s with a professional qualification. They went through Sandhurst on the shorter couse after enough years as a CFAV to qualify for and be awarded the CFM.
The hierarchy at Sandhurst though the CFM should not be worn as it was not a proper medal for someone graduating from Sandhurst and tried to stop them wearing it. They fould out that it was infact a proper gong and they could not stop the person wearing it.

3 Likes

One of my reservists received a BEM (unrelated to her reserve service) and I’ve been encouraging her to get it mounted for her No. 1s. It’s a state award and I don’t see it as any different to me wearing medals I earned in the Army or others with police / fire / special constabulary medals.

7 Likes

Strictly speaking they’re improperly dressed if not wearing it.

9 Likes

Agreed, they should totally be wearing it!

3 Likes

Fancy a volunteer organisation leaving you feeling inappropriate for wearing an official medal, presumably for… volunteering…

3 Likes

That argument doesn’t hold water when considering a NCO could have been awarded it who then became an officer…
Else the suggestion is any state awards achieved prior to the rank not currently held are not eligible to be worn!

Its like suggesting a “9-5” (ie paid and job which pays the bills) fire fighter/police officer/paramedic cannot wear their medals in RAFAC duty as an “RAF Officer” wouldn’t wear them.
Which is obviously codswallop.

2 Likes
1 Like

This is pretty awesome. Cadets were selected back at the 2023 National Air and Space camp to attend a visit with British Airways. Looks like a pretty awesome day out for those lucky enough to get picked!

Honestly a little jealous. Hands on with an A350 being inspected and a play in their sims.

1 Like

Not strictly RAFAC, but really nice PR piece from Lowland RFCA:

4 Likes

That’s a pretty great video!

Not the first time their good media has been noted on here I believe! HQAC take note

A joint centre refurbished, and ready to go.

And the before/after link

5 Likes