CCF (RAF) Master Cadet Proficiency badge?

Hi all,

I’m a newly promoted Sgt in my CCF (RAF) section, and I’m looking to create a good impression with OC, SSI etc. with a view to making myself a candidate for FS or CWO next year. I’m currently a senior cadet, and will be undertaking MOI later this year, having unfortunately missed out on a QAIC application.

My question is, can CCF cadets achieve Master Cadet Proficiency, or is this only for ATC cadets? I’m aware you can attain a BTEC through Proficiencies, again I’m not sure how this fits in.

Does anyone know the answer? :confused:

You can’t - CCF syllabus only goes as far as Part 3 (Advanced) and the requirements for that are less than the ATC (one academic subject not two). This is partly related to the age restrictions.

How big is your RAF section? It wouldn’t be appropriate to make the head of an RAF section of <100 a CWO in my view; and JSP 313 has views on this, too. The way I run things (RAF section approx 50, entire CCF 180) is that the max rank for head of the RAF section is FS; if an RAF section cadet became ‘Head of Corps’ as we call it here, i.e. in charge of the whole CCF, I would expect to promote to CWO. In both cases this is subject to ability, of course; sometimes with weaker SNCOs I’d hold the head of RAF section down at Sgt.

OK, thanks. I’m not sure, but I think you can get a BTEC L2 from proficiency, don’t know what you have to do for it in the CCF though.

Our section is around 80, when I said FS or CWO I meant ‘Head of Section’ and ‘Head of Contingent/Senior cadet’ respectively, although I don’t like senior cadet as it gets confusing with proficiencies. So yes, we do do things the same as you do, with an FS head of RAF, and CWO head of Contingent.:grinning:

If you have an Army head of contingent does he get WO1 or WO2?

Do you have a RN section?

Hmm, I’m not sure. Currently CWO is RAF. Don’t remember what happened when we had an Army head.

Yes, we do have RN, but it’s a lot smaller than the Army/RAF - only (!) around 40 cadets. The Army and RAF sections are around 70-80 each I believe.

That shouldn’t be happening! Typical army-dominated CCF. Are they so insecure they can’t cope with someone in light blue in charge?

Does the RN ever get one of their cadets in overall charge?

To be fair until this summer, the CCFRN had no ranks above Petty Officer (=Sgt). The logic was, RN sections are small, so PO is a high enough rank for the senior cadet. Fair enough except they never thought of the idea of senior RN cadet being in overall charge. They’ve now introduced Cadet CPO and WO.

Our RN section has only just moved to MTP and my SSI is a VERY capable QM…

A similar thing happened to my contingent with our senior cadet having to move to Army. What school are you from?

Hi ccfguy,

I’m from Stamford School CCF, under Lt Cdr Holland. The difficulty for our CWO was that he was very busy helping the heads of section to plan lessons and activities, and didn’t have time to make up for some less experienced SNCOs. Luckily our RAF section has three other particularly strong Sgts besides me, who have helped to take some of the strain of the FS, and in turn the CWO.

The difficulty for us has been adjusting to some new staff with new plans, which has caused particular problems this year in terms of increased workload.

Which CCF are you from? And what exactly happened with your CWO? I’ve heard a few stories from other CCFs about problems arising between SNCOs and CWOs with neither knowing exactly what they should and shouldn’t be doing in the running of the Contingent.