CCF RAF marksmanship standards - ACTO 44 Feb 2014

The ‘new’ (well, I’ve only just noticed them) standards for CCF RAF marksmanship appear to be a dog’s breakfast.

Apart from the appalling quality of the staff work involved (the document contradicts itself, and contains uncorrected copy and paste from the ATC section, including the very first sentence of para 9), there are problems…

The ATC system allows for a Sqn marksman shoot with different results. Everyone can do the same shoot, and depending on the mark, different awards (2nd class, 1st class, Marksman) are madeThose cadets gaining Sqn marksman can go on to attempt Wing/Region/Corps marksman awards which are separate, more difficult practices.

The CCF system doesn’t do this. There is a 2nd class shoot, a 1st class shoot, and a marksman shoot. The badges awarded are similar to the CCF Army ones (why? why not make the awards the same as the ATC if we are all one happy ACO?), and you have to decide before the shoot which level a cadet is aiming at. Pitch too high, and they might get nothing. Pitch too low, and they will miss out on an award they could have got.

The old system, up to February, was essentially the same as the Sqn marksman shoot. The badges awarded were different - so no-one in the ATC was upset that the CCF cadets got the same badge for lower standards.

It’s a mess. On summer camp I have to admit I ran the old marksman shoot - we had neither time nor sufficient ammo to do anything else.

Shooting coaches out there - have a look at the ACTO and you’ll see what I mean.

Thanks for pointing this out - we have been waiting for years to find out what was happening with CCF(RAF) marksmanship badges, since they don’t feature in AP1358C.

Having read the ACTO, I entirely agree with you. We will just stick to the old ACP22 shoot I think - much simpler!

Having just read the ACTO, they seem to map across better now. 2nd class is Sqn marksman. 1st class is wing and small bore is Corps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest I struggle to see why the CCF (RAF Section) a part of the ACO, which we seem to be under more and more, has different requirements for Marksman. Makes life difficult if you have an ACO shoot, integrating ATC & CCF (RAF) cadets into the same Range Period sharing resources, which we should be doing anyway…

I agree with this. I hear that CCF(RAF) unit is due to open up near to me in the next school year and I hope that the staff there get in touch with the Wing Shooting Team in my wing and we have joint shoots!

Despite rebranding everything as the ACO, RAF sections are still part of the CCF and have much closer ties with the CCF(Army) and CCF(RN) sections. I think our (old) marksmanship standards are the same for all three sections, which makes a lot of sense: the same standards, easy comparison between cadets all at the same school, easy for RCOs from any sections/SSI to run a range with cadets from different sections.

I agree with this. I hear that CCF(RAF) unit is due to open up near to me in the next school year and I hope that the staff there get in touch with the Wing Shooting Team in my wing and we have joint shoots![/quote]

Sounds like something like that would be very beneficial to both parties, maybe giving somewhere to train ATC and CCF cadets together at weekends. Joint shoots would be good to, especially since the marksmanships now seem to be aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit that I run ATC marksmanship shoots and award ATC marksmanship badges in my RAF Section. My TEST SNCO told me that more and more Sections are using ATC badges and I feel that the ATC shoots are easier to follow, understand and conduct.

Ironically whilst the ATC marksman tests are easier to follow - I would much prefer the CCF(RAF) system of badges. More logical and allowing to distinguish between small bore & full bore.

I agree with this. I hear that CCF(RAF) unit is due to open up near to me in the next school year and I hope that the staff there get in touch with the Wing Shooting Team in my wing and we have joint shoots![/quote]

Sounds like something like that would be very beneficial to both parties, maybe giving somewhere to train ATC and CCF cadets together at weekends. Joint shoots would be good to, especially since the marksmanships now seem to be aligned.
[/quote]

Why do you have to wait for the school to get in touch with the wing shooting team? - get in touch yourself if you’re the closest unit. That way you can get things going from there. If you want a good shoot to practice that you both do, have a country life shoot - good training for the comp, the cadets enjoy it and its a common area.

One positive result of this is that I am now in contact with the WSO, having asked the WExO for his contact details for advice. So we might collaborate (shock!)