CCF RAF drill with army section

If hypothetically we did an official parade with mixed Air cadets and army cadets together in one, who’s timing do we do? Do we each do the individual timings of our respective parent services or do we go of the timings of the more senior service (the army). What if it was an RAF parade though on a RAF base.

Just a question that popped in my head?

What do you mean by “timings”?

If your question is reference marching speeds and suchlike, I believe the Army use heavy drill on formal parades, and therefore there should be no difference in terms of marching ‘timings’. As for turns etc at the halt, each service carry out their own drills as per their own drill manual.

No such thing as “heavy drill”, it is “drill” and “Rifles drill”. In the case of non-Rifles units, there is nothing to worry about really. It gets more complicated if there is a Rifles unit on parade. Is that the case here?

do you mean like Remembrance Parade??

that is where I have constantly seen the two services parading and as indicated those who use Rifles Drill convert to “drill”

with regarding static drill, as per each units own bent…you fall in/out salute as per the organisation demands

It’s in reference to an upcoming competition we may possibly attend together as a CCF contingent. We get assessed on drill so I’m unsure because if we do it independently we sound like a machine gun because army timings are quicker. I’m asking about static movements without a rifle.

You will need to find out if you are going to be doing it together. If you are, you will have to practice as a contingent.

Do you do a Remembrance Sunday parade? What happens then?

We have a joint parade every week and everyone has to toe the line. You are right, the Army should be the same but they aren’t. Unfortunately the Army are the majority in my Contingent, despite my best efforts!

Since Army came first, it is you who should be the same as us. :smiley:
I didn’t actually realise there was any difference until I checked youtube yesterday, and you chaps seem to have a more leisurely approach to static drill. :slight_smile:

Indeed. Which is doubly odd as (if you watch very old RAF training videos) we used to do something more akin to Light Drill. My ancient copy of the RAF March Past is labelled 132 bpm…

We are it’s just dependent on if they can gather the cadets we need we have our half.

On Rememberance we turn and attempt to make it look good…

[quote=“tmmorris, post:11, topic:2619”]
Which is doubly odd as (if you watch very old RAF training videos) we used to do something more akin to Light Drill[/quote]

This is indeed one of life’s great mysteries. If you watch British Pathé etc newsreel footage of formal march-pasts, parades or troop movements (say from before 1900 to around 1960) [B]all[/B] British military personnel displayed a similar shambling drill-style that looks very naval/American/olde-skool.

Except Household Division / Guards. Who appear [I]always[/I] to have ‘bent the knee’ and tried to look as smart as hell. And I suspect the RAF Regt have always followed that standard.

So, at some point (say 1963, when the last National Servicemen were being discharged, along with my father) the decision must’ve been taken for all regiments & corps of the Army, plus [U]all[/U] of the RAF (and their reserves and cadets) to adopt full guards-style drill. But not the Navy…they retained the Yankee slip’n’slide of Kitchener’s Casuals.

I also suspect that the WRNS/WRAC/WRAF originally never ‘bent the knee’…but they may have done so, eventually, prior to absorption into their respective lead service.

Any theories as to exactly why? Informed insight is better than speculative guesswork, but have a go at trying to explain

The Navy claim it’s to do with not stamping on deck &c. But I wonder if that’s an ex post facto rationalisation.

It’s been interesting reading the replies and I’d like to thank you all for your help. I think that We’ve decided not to enter the competition as we can’t gather a big enough team and good enough team in the time left. Thank you

Speak to the organisers…
My Sqn didn’t have enough cadets but wing let us enter a smaller team for experience and the cadets enjoyed it and got others involved

It’s called the ‘half-swing’ (or was, when I was in).

We went actually in the end with 6 rather than the required 10minimum. We only had 3 days to prepare and finished 4th so really pleased.

2 Likes

Well done :+1:
It will give the cadets confidence and Hopefully next year they will beat that