Can RAFAC do Cambrian Patrol?

Hi all,

Just wondering if the RAFAC can take part in cadet Cambrian patrol, and if so, what’s the process for doing it?

Cheers

There certainly was a Sqn in Cardiff who did CP - there’s a CP office at 160 Bde in Brecon.

This is the website - there’s a civ phone number at the bottom. Simply give them a ring and have a chat.

https://www.cambrianpatrol.net/

3 Likes

To add, there’s a cadet version. I’m assuming the CP office will have the details.

I don’t know if the adult CP will accept cadet units taking part - ask them, obviously, but it’s ferociously hard, and I think that the ACO would really struggle to give cadets the kind of training they’d need to get most out of it.

It’s the kind of thing that cries out for structured exchange/cooperation with the ACF…

1 Like

The Cadet one is ran by the ACF I believe and there have been RAFAC teams before.

Just like any other external activity really, would need RHQ approval most likely based on the activities.

1 Like

You definitely want to do Cadet version.

I don’t know of CCF(RAF) cadets who’ve done it but I do know of CCF(Army) ones.

100% I nearly lost a soldier on the reservist one (which I think is the same as the full one, but run over a long weekend) and was very close to going down with hypothermia myself.

If it’s not [almost lethal, definitely close to it] it’s not training?

2 Likes

The ACO could do it’s own CP - it’s a circular route with activity stands, it’s not rocket science…

You could reduce the aggro/training requirement by doing the march and the majority of the stands without rifles, and have perhaps a blank firing CQB range, and a live range shoot with the weapons and ammunition held at those locations.

Different length routes for different ages, different categories for groups that carry their overnight kit and those that meet it at the bivvy site(s), perhaps NCO’s have to carry their kit, but cadets don’t…

Plenty of options.

It’s been discussed being ran at Regional level a lot of times. Would require a big staff team and has often been put on the too expensive pile.

1 Like

As with everything, it’s about choosing what we spend our finite resources on.

Given the relentless loss of annual camp places, I wonder what the pay budget is being spent on…

1 Like

I’ve done it as CCF(RAF)

Quibbling

1 Like