Can I get a BTEC in Aerospace Studie as of now?

Hello, I was introduced to the BTEC Diploma in Aviation Studies by the RAF this year, and I was really looking forward to obtaining it by the end of this academic year. However, just now, my goal was shattered by the fact that it has been discontinued, but apparently the BTEC in Aerospace Studies is supposed to be in the works? So, as of now, is it worth completing the four cadet exams so that I get the Diploma, if I even can. I looked at it as a nice extracurricular that I could have put on my CV as I want to become a commercial pilot down the line.

It’s all the classifications up to and including master air cadet, so 9 subject exams. And no we can’t get the btec. So the only incentives to getting through all the different subjects is increasing your knowledge, badges, and ticking criteria for activities/promotions etc. And we cross our fingers that it comes back before we age out, and we are eligible for it, and that we don’t have to retake all the blooming exams

Such a shame honestly. My squadron leaders promoted going up the ladder of cadet ranks with the BTEC diploma, and this whole time I had my hopes that I will be getting soon, just for it to turn out that it’s not there anymore… I am honestly so disappointed and saddened

It’s been gone for a while, I kid you not they announced it was being stopped a week before I finished master air cadet. I was rather annoyed to say the least.

Should I even bother with going through the exams then? What if the new qualification requires new ones

I really don’t know, but most likely your sqn will want you to do the exams anyway. And you learn new stuff, some of the subjects I did find interesting.

Master cadet subjects include; Pilot navigation, air navigation, jet engines, radio and radar, to name a few.
They might just come in handy if you genuinely want to be a commercial pilot!

1 Like

There was no BTEC when I was a cadet, but we still went through all the classifications. There was an air navigation GCSE, but I think it required separate study rather than being tied in with the classification training.

They would definitely benefit me, yes, and I couldn’t agree more. However, I was looking forward towards obtaining the qualification itself. Furthermore, if I cannot really certify these exams in any way, I don’t think I should sacrifice my studies just to climb the cadet ladder.

It’s not a requirement that you pass them, they just mentioned it without glorifying it that much. It was my passion for aviation that made me want the Diploma in Aviation Studies, but without it, I don’t think it’s that worth it to dedicate time and resources towards passing them.

But you can’t be bothered to study the AVIATION subjects of Senior and Master classification?

Additionally, you will need passes in these subjects if you wish to apply for the ACPS when it resumes.

2 Likes

No ones saying to sacrifice time from school studies for cadet studies. School always comes first hence the whole study leave thing for exam/mock periods etc. But a lot of the time classification lessons are during your usual parade night, assuming that most sqns run it like this, so you would do it anyway during normal parade nights. TBF I completed all of my classification subjects before year 11 so I never really had a big clash with school exams

1 Like

Again, it’s the qualification, the piece of paper that will boost my CV by a bit, and make me stand out. Of course I wouldn’t mind studying more about aviation now, but there really isn’t any incentive to do so if the diploma is gone.

The concept of intrinsic motivation: doing something because you want to, or would find it rewarding without external incentives.

Is there anything else that you do because you like it and not because it comes with a certificate or medal? Do you have any non cadet/aviation hobbies or interests?

If you like aviation, why does learning about aviation need a certificate?

Even if it doesn’t appear on a CV, it could still become a talking point at interviews.

4 Likes

Also the aim of our exams has never been directly to get a BTEC or other cert. It’s to go up through the classifications. The certs have been a nice bonus along the way.

I agree that it’s a complete farce that we’ve been without a BTEC for so long now, but it’s not a reason not to be doing the classification syllabus.

3 Likes

Byproduct by design (at a far, far later date than inception of the, not primary purpose, definitely.

2 Likes

So you won’t be able to put ‘BTEC in Aviation Studies’ on your CV. Nor will any other cadet who you may end up competing with for a commercial pilot’s job.

Unlike you though, they will be able to put ‘studied for and passed RAFAC examinations in Air Navigation, Jet Engines, Pilot Navigation, Radio & Radar, Airframes’ etc etc.

Who do you think will be the more attractive candidate to an airline???

2 Likes

Extra effort put in, shows motivation and drive, without just doing something for an endpoint ‘reward’

do we still do any BTECs?

I agree. Sticking with something that is hard (knowing that there is no badge, certificate or reward at the end of the process) will set you apart from the competition. In fact, doing things because there is no reward is a great growing/learning opportunity. Important people will notice and good things happen.

3 Likes