Can cadets do a JNCO course?

I was wondering if a person with a rank of cadet can do a jnco course? i have blue leadership and am currently going for a promotion. thanks :slight_smile:

Depends on the Wing youā€™re in. Some wings a JNCO course can be done as more of a ā€˜pre-JNCOā€™ course. Others, you already need to have been promoted by your OC before you can attend.

Best bet is to speak to your OC, say youā€™re keen to learn more, and want to know if this course is available to you!

1 Like

Short answer it depends.

Criteria Varys from wing to wing.

Some COs send cdts & use the wing course to assess suitability, othered promote first & use the course for consolidation.

What I would say is donā€™t go on a course too early or unprepared. If you fail it can really damage your confidence particularly if you would have passed/be ready six to nine months later: just make sure you speak to your CO & get help to prep your drill, uniform, & leadership knowledge.

Leading cadet classification is a good base line before attending but not compulsory & again varies.

2 Likes

Not forgetting of course that no Wing should be doing it as a pass / fail course (albeit a I know a lot of people do use it as such)

The ACTO 7 states

ā€œAt the end of the course, no examinations or objective marks should be given but cadets should receive a debrief on their strengths and weaknesses on an individual basisā€

The NCO courses are training and development courses - which is why itā€™s varied on whether cadets can go on it, or just those who have been promoted.

That being said, itā€™s still important that you donā€™t go on it to early and thereā€™s lots of factors which would impact that whether or not you should go on it at this time.

1 Like

I did a JNCO course as a cadetā€¦

Bare in mind this was about 15 years agoā€¦ And I had been demoted prior to the courseā€¦

Pretty good though, standard ā€œcorporal, march properly!ā€ And just carried on looking smugā€¦

2 Likes

My old Wing used to give you a gradeā€¦

Fail
Pass
Merit
Distinction

IIRC I got a merit on my NCOs courses. You had to essentially be a Junior Capt Winters to get a distinction and be chosen as course leader on Day 1.