Camp Reimbursement for Income Support Cadets

Does anyone know how this works exactly? How long does it take to process?

In every camp I have staffed, the cadet contribution for messing has been caulculated and returned to the cadet at the end of the camp in cash along with any other refund from camp fees.

I was afraid you might say that…

Yep same here

Same here!

Also same.

If that is a problem, your civcom should consider covering the all or part of the cost for the cadet

1 Like

We arranged to cover half, then they would get back half of what’s left. Apparently our wing has a new system where they have to process it through their bank account.

Ehhh… nope…
the cadet hands over the TG form and money, you show the form to accounts on station who take some note for their records and then once agreed money handed back to cadet.
if wing puts it in their account then wing better pay it out asap…

I would be a total cheeky git… if wing don’t return the money by the time the next wing subs are due to be sent then… reduce the money by the amount due to be refunded and send it in with a note…

I’m not sure how that would work as part of the camp fees are to cover messing which the said gets free.

I believe that the base then gets the money for messing from HQAC.

So unless your wing collects the camp fees prior to the camp I don’t see how the money even sees the wing bank account.

Wing took payments before camp either by cheque or electronically this year, apparently, all of the excess was held by them still and we are awaiting it’s return .

This brings up the issue of CFAVs handling cash.
In my wing Cadets pay wing the camp fee. The camp com receives the cash from who and goes to camp. Monday morning camp com and adj tahe nominal roll, tg21 and cash to camp cashier and pay messing for all cadets. Any on income support are not charged and camp com retains messing. This is returned to the cadet at the end of camp.

Perhaps the wing in question doinng all of the cash handling as per regs.

We’re told what the messing rates are via Bader - we had one cadet this year on Income Support so we just charged them the camp fee less messing.

Pretty similar in my Wing.Although slightly different in that cadets take their fee to camp hand them over to the Adj/camp comm on arrival then on Monday morning its off to accounts.Never had any problems.As to messing fees if the form is filled in to show benefit receipt thats refunded to the cadet.If any cadets have probs raising the fee in the first place CivComm pay either part or fully once ive investigated that its a genuine request.Only ever had one chancer get found out when parents pleaded poverty and then just before I was about to approach CivComm parent let slip on their facebook account that they were off to South Africa on hols plus buying a new phone and oh yes going out for a slap up meal.I never did approach the CivComm that time round as the money miraculously appeared after a short chat with the parents.

Hmm Wing holding the money, sounds suss to me.
We used to have to send camp fees to Wing who gave it to the CC, but this stopped years and years ago as it all got messy when cadets changed last minute. Before I was high enough up the food chain to be an adj, I recall being on camp and cadets changing and bringing the money with them, which meant the CC had to take the appropriate amount back to Wing. Ever since it stopped being sent to Wing, squadrons collect the money, give it as cash to which ever staff is going, who hands it over to the CC or adj and the camp self finances, with a zero balance.

As for messing contributions and squadrons making a contribution to the money, I’ve never been bothered about the messing contribution if it’s applicable the parents/carers getting it. Even if the squadron paid the whole amount, I still wouldn’t get worried about the parents getting the messing contribution. IMO it would be mealy mouthed not to let them have it, whatever the level of squadron contribution. With all money matters it would ultimately lie with the CWC and in my experience I’ve never known any CWC members who would create a stink. It would be interesting entry on the F60. If the squadron paid the whole amount and all cadets got a tenner back at the end of the week, what then.