Cadets reception in the service

During unit officer training (obviously you shouldn’t show off) does a history in the cadets produce any prejudices from staff? Along the lines of “don’t think you’re better than everyone else”

What do you mean?

I’m finding it hard to get the words across, something along the lines of:

Will the training staff assume that you think you’re better or are arrogant because of the training from cadets

No.

Only if you’re arrogant.

3 Likes

I’m guessing he means UOTC/UAS or regular service, following Cadet service. The reception/treatment: are there higher expectations placed upon ex-Cadets. Well yes: I would seriously hope so

EDIT I do hope ex-Cadets actually sometimes consider joining the Active Reserves, if they’re not wanting to go regular. This route (becoming a PTVR in either RMR/RNR/AR/RAFR) is either a really rare option, or, is just kept curiously low-key

What do these roles entail?

Part-Time Volunteer Reserve members of the UK’s Reserve Forces are appointed into established roles, the vast majority of which directly-mirror those in the regular services. There are obvious areas that Direct Entrants could NOT do (eg the Reserve Aircrew cadre, most of whom are ex-reg RAFResO)

These days the training and capability differential between regulars & reserves is virtually nil. And there is NO more branch precidence. An RAuxAF Sqn Ldr is not subordinate to a regular with the same seniority.

It is a REAL parallel career option for the right people: and when you consider how small the regular forces are, the targetted use of individual reservists into specific posts can make a huge difference

EDIT I feel that although the regular RAF does at least now mention the RAFR in its marketing/recruitment, the lack of detail is …odd

I would say that training staff would expect an ex-cadet to be able to do the basic stuff - ironing a shirt, cleaning boots, basic drill, what way round a compass goes etc… but I’d not be trumpeting to either other recruits or to DS that I’d been a Sgt in the cadets, that would mark you out as a massive throbber.

As with most things in life, what marks you out as being a massive throbber is acting like a massive throbber…

2 Likes

a guy I was a cadet with was booted from halton for an attitude issue stemming from he thought better than the DS because in cadets he did XYZ.

I know pre AP818 they used to dislike cadets coming to halton/cranwell because it was a challenge for the DIs to beat ACP19 out of them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.