Cadet Sports in Public Locations

Just been through the email archives and… that email doesn’t appear to exist. The archive goes back 10 years on some topics, just to cover our backsides.

I can’t check back on any role account, but it was certainly not sent to my squadron’s generic account.

I really hoped this might have been an area where this org did comms well. Appreciate the hint though.

AFAIK, If you’re running a sport session, you will need:

A TOPL approval
Permission from the land owner
An SMS application, authorised by the wing sports officer.

Our SMS application needs an admin order, risk assessment, JIs, and a medical plan as standard.

Thank you. How do you go about a TOPL if you’re exclusively using public roads?

Didnt think you needed an SMS to run a sqn sports night on a normal parade evening? Sounds similar to Blue DofE physical. We use a local park with the appropriate EUF signed off by the council and police

Within an authorized Extended Unit Footprint, you wouldn’t.
But if you don’t have an EUF, (assuming you don’t have somewhere to do sports within your building/compound (if you have one)), you’d need an SMS activity and TOPL*.

* I assume you wouldn’t need TOPL if your unit was on defence estate, as an exception?

Although this notice went initially to ACLC it does apply to the whole Corp. All physical testing of Staff and cadets utilising the Multi Stage Fitness Test (MSFT) …also known as the Bleep Test, or timed runs such as 1 ½ mile BFT is to stop. Any change to that order will be notified via RHQ. Although this is not a common trg event it does take place in LASER on occasion. The direction has come initially via 22 Grp in January.

‘This was in AOC 22 Gp End of Week Report:

All Pre-Selection Fitness Testing Stopped by Air Health as of 9 Jan following a Coroner’s report into the deaths of 2 Army candidates. PRTC (HAL) and IOT Famil days affected - 6 FTS and A&DC currently not conducting testing. Awaiting direction/resolution from ongoing tri-service mtgs.’

Thank you for sharing.

I am going to absolutely flip my lid at how abysmal comms are within RAFAC that ACC now appears to be the org’s location for the Single Version of the Truth (SVOT)

4 Likes

2 Likes

We’re in different regions I think

We are, and it just goes to demonstrate the problem with trickle down comms, even if the hierarchy is established that way.

If only it was…

One of the new heat injury docs states something like “as the RAFAC does not do fitness assessments…”. Can’t remember the exact wording, but it was saying it as if it already existed in policy, rather than being the policy itself.

And yet blue DofE kind of does

1 Like

I’ve not got the wording to hand and cannot look it up as I’m between jobs. BUT. I think the policy document leant more towards “fitness assessments” in a “selection process” environment (where there is a culture/bias towards pushing yourself harder so as to make the grade/be selected) rather than a “fitness assessment” (whereby you are benchmarking yourself in a non-competitive environment)

2 Likes

And the latter is precisely what I’m looking at here. Cadets would go out and do their best. Afterwards, we would have a talk about what the current RAF fitness entry standards look like, so that they as individuals can compare themselves to that standard and decide whether it’s something they wanted to aspire to achieve.

There would be frequent opportunities to re-benchmark themselves, but no obligation to aim for the actual standard if they don’t want to; they could walk the route or even sit it out if they’re so inclined.

3 Likes

My reading of the HIP training was that any Annual fitness test (I.e. pass/fail where the participants are expected to push their physical limits) we’re considered “high intensity” and therefore pushes the activity form WBGT ‘should’ be used to ‘must’. Which is why HQAC put in the wording that we don’t do these kind of tests so they don’t have to provide the WBGT training to cover core activities.

If that is true, I’d be very concerned. HQAC should be facilitating core activities so that cadets aren’t missing out, rather than work to such a low risk appetite that there’s not much point in turning up.

1 Like

That’s the problem generally at the moment. Such a low risk appetite. That culture is encouraged by the very top

1 Like

Lets not forget,

No Activity = No Risk

2 Likes

Interesting. A 2.4km timed run is a prerequisite for application for the Air Cadet Leadership Course…

1 Like