Cadet Rank Changes

Not really.

Our ranks mirror the MAM-P engineering auths in practice. So whilst army LCpls hold B level auths, an AS1(T) can do that.

Sort of goes along the lines of:

Rank - Auth level
AR - A
AS1(T) - B
Cpl - C
Sgt - D
CT - F
FS - G
WO - H

You can have max specials, so my max special is an E level Auth.
Army put a lot more emphasis on rank than we do, but rank doesn’t equal authority with us.

2 Likes

Someone might say exactly the same about the RAF rank changes, but I couldn’t possibly comment.

So if we were going to properly mirror the RAF we need some sort of rank matrix table with different cadet ranks & different authority being able to cross reference. Authority class could depend on area such AT, shooting, fieldcraft, drill etc

So
(Class C) Cpl
(Class D) Sgt
(Class B) FS
(Class E) FS

Staff cadets could have a separate Z-Axis reference

could make things interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

Which is why there is no need for CFAVs to be SNCOs…

Start them lower :joy:

2 Likes

Tweaked that for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This is a fair comment.

Though I’d argue adding something below cpl would be useful for creating a stepping stone.

I remember cpl being quite a big jump. From cadet and no real responsibility to cpl and hopefully, a fair few things to do.

L Cpl (or something similar) would give you a way of formally badging all those senior cadets who currently start stepping up, but do so in the rank of cadet.

Just helps add some visual separation along that journey, and perhaps a steadier ramp, without it taking 2-3 years before your first jump (largely depending on opportunity, I would have thought).

It was mainly in response to the suggestion about lowering all the ranks to below the adult ones. I could see the benefit of simply adding LCpl.

1 Like

I would favour L/Cpl, I see its uses in the ACF & CCF (at least where it is used properly, as a bridge between cadet and Cpl with an expectation that it’s a training role, rather than a fully fledged section i/c).

With cadets starting younger it would rebalance our structure.

I’m not against AS1/2 but I don’t see that adding as much value as L/Cpl.

2 Likes

Can about 15-20 of us all agree a time & date & all post simultaneously the question to VoP teams chats that we all want ATC Sqn OCs to be permitted to promote L/Cpl at our discretion. Establishment in ACP 20 for Cpls to remain as is & L/Cpls to be counted as part of that establishment.

Hopefully HQ will then issue an IBn & go “crack on at your discretion & we might commission a review in 24months”

1 Like

I’ve no idea what that means, but it sounds like a cracking plan.

Astra the heck out of it, but without all the time and effort.

Maybe as part of the new JNCO course re-write (or first write?) This could be looked at? Promote to L/Cpl before the course, then full Cpl after the course? (Or similar)

4 Likes

Yes it could but at the moment COs can promote without sending a cadet on any NCO course.

We want things simple rather than caught up in paperwork politics :slight_smile:

Give OCs the authority & discretion, let us crack on, see how we are actually using it in about 24months time THEN standardise it, :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s a great idea, L/Col is the training (almost acting) rank, then full promotion on completion of JNCO.

Gets round the issue that many wings only take cadets who are already JNCOs on their JNCO courses.

2 Likes

I did my JNCO course as a cadet.

But that was because I was demoted two weeks prior and had already paid so they didn’t want to take me off it. :joy:

But in all seriousness, the courses should be a prerequisite for the promotion. Then you might not need the J/Cpl rank.

1 Like

I’d rather have a 14 y/o L/Cpl than a 14y/o full Cpl all other things being equal.

1 Like

I think this is what will happen in practise anyway depending on Wng & availability of courses.
No need for us to wait for the review to be completed though :slight_smile:

COs still need the discretion to promote without courses though to allow for specific circumstances :slight_smile:

1 Like

The last update I had the J/SNCO course re-writes are not happening now.

We’ve had this conversation before, we only have Cadets for between 5 and 7 years at most as it is, we already have 5 ranks from Cadet to CWO do we really need a 6th rank?

I tend to agree, although it would be nice to align with the CCF so either L/Cpl is added to the ATC or dropped from the CCF.

One of my biggest challenges is finding suitable Cpl’s so adding L/Cpl to the mix is going to hurt my head :weary:

1 Like

And CCF isn’t going to drop LCpl because they want to align with Army sections.

2 Likes