Cadet NCO Promotion Criteria ACTO

Er. What?

2 Likes

Sector OCs sign off on flight sergeant promotions as far as Iā€™m aware? At least they do in our wing? In my old cadet file, I have the form that the sector OC signed off for my FS promotion. This is going back at least 5 years.

Yup.

I think that in a number of wings itā€™s fudged though, such that the SNCO course counts as the approval from wig to promote Sgts to FS.

I thought the Wing Sign Off on FS was part of the very short lived only FS can stay over 18 and was taken out again at the same time? (My Wing was running that process until 2 years ago when an OC challenged waving ACP20 and then it went away).

1 Like

Iā€™m only aware of CWO being a Wing process, all others have been down to the OC, with almost free reign other than the suggested classification that could be dropped by 1 levelā€¦ until this arrives

1 Like

Never heard of that. 99.9% certain that nobody on our wing does this.

No. I just reposted something anonymously that I was asked to so I donā€™t ā€œoutā€ the source of the leak.

Our wing tried it and then removed it when we have backlash.

I think this is going to be something that is introduced, then promptly binned/shredded/set fire to by any Sqn OC with an ounce of common sense.

Some of it seems sensible (and the OCs mentioned above are probably already doing it), other bits donā€™t allow for differing circumstances as mentioned in this thread.

1 Like

This is complete muppetry.

Just because a cadet is a badge collector doesnt make them a good nco.

What a total load of pig poo.

Also, thanks a bunch as itā€™s just yet ANOTHER spreadsheet to manage tracking details of who has what etc etc.

I.hope this is a wind up.

1 Like

I just wonder how anyone plans to enforce this?

SMS will be able to tell us whoā€™s eligible, letā€™s hope the NCO team are talking to Bader so they can make it happen ā€¦

Well since every Cadet should have almost every Blue Badge that side of it is hardly an issue.

As for keeping track, the Cadets have 3822ā€™s just make completing the matrix their job as part of the application process like we do for adult staff.

Agreed, especially for us shiny new junior officers.

Although I think this could have a negative impact if it is strict criteria rather than guidance. As has been previously mentioned, many badges does not make one a good NCO.

2 Likes

Oh, so I shouldnā€™t promote that cadet only able to make 50-60% of parade nights, but is of standard, regularly off Sqn, and meets the other criteria?

For a non-discriminatory organisation, thereā€™s a lot of discrimination written into regs.

Gold standard leadership, monkey bars on new kit, this load of toshā€¦

Someone needs to give their head a wobble, stick it above the parapet, and then go outside and see the real world.

2 Likes

Probably not ready to be corporal yet then? :thinking:

Something my old Squadron did in the 80s, run by the Squadron, other Squadrons invited and the ā€˜sectorā€™ commander, (group commander as it was) gave one presentation then sent on their way, not to come back over the weekend.

Depends on how you judge attendance.

I rate AA as being present so if you bother to play the game all good!

1 Like

So a cadet has an ilnees or surgery or involved in an accident canā€™t attend for three months or has multiple absenses due to illness on paper that disqualifies them. What about those covered by the Disability Discrimination Act, for instance Asthma.

This is a voluntary organisation - all absences are authorised.

Apart from that, this is not a nationally achievable set of criteria so it cannot be enforced. They may be useful as guidance for an OC, but I suggest that an OC doesnā€™t need it.

Does TG1 need a holiday, or is this more nonsense from Wg Cdr TG?

2 Likes